USB connection to Thomson Speedtouch300 modem

Windsor 19:34 09 Dec 05

I have the above modem but when I boot up the PC it does not respond - no Red light at all. If I unplug and replug the USB connection, perhaps several times, it eventually works. Any cluse anyone, please.

woodchip 19:38 09 Dec 05

is it plugged direct into computer?

Daveboy 22:18 09 Dec 05

Check the "power" available to the relevant USB port via Device Manager-USB root hub. These modems require 500 mA, unpowered hubs not suitable hence the advice to plug straight into computer usb port.

Giggle n' Bits 00:58 10 Dec 05

telephone sockets inc SKY where a phone/fax or sky is plugged in ?. Also if you are connecting using the Front USB port then try a rear USB port as some of the Speedtouch modems don't like front hubs due to the USB Hub power rating.

You didn't mention which windows and is this a new setup for Wanadoo B/Band ?

woodchip 10:12 10 Dec 05

Looks like the USB on the motherboard as packed in, Get a PCI USB2 card. As you cannot repair the Fuse on the USB that's part of your Motherboard.

PS one Question before you do the above, Does other USB gear work OK on the Onboard USB's???

Giggle n' Bits 10:22 10 Dec 05

I would call Wanadoo Broadband Tech as you may have a faulty Modem. Once this is confirmed then
speak to BT via 151 and ask to check you line for faults.

Ca you tell us more about your computer like is it a branded pc e;g Packard Bell, Dell etc. Do you know which Motherboard Chipset you have e;g VIA, Intel, Nvidia, ATI or SiS ?

Sorry to ask but the more detail the more help we can give and hopefully sort you out.

Windsor 11:29 10 Dec 05

My modem was supplied by Homecall. All other USB devices work OK.
My PC is not branded but has an NVIDIA board.

Windsor 11:31 10 Dec 05

It is plugged into the rear USB outlet.
Thanks for your suggestion re a PCI card. I will try rhis.

Windsor 11:32 10 Dec 05

The device manager indicates all is well - 500ma available.

woodchip 14:47 10 Dec 05

If other USB work the Modem id Duff

Giggle n' Bits 02:22 11 Dec 05

as my Wanadoo, have you called Homecall Tech support ?
The other thing with B/band is, before getting the modem to wake up the Username & Password must be accurate in the Connection box.
I have found with Homecall in the past what they say you x name or x password is is different and they don't tell you till you call them.

also, have you got a friend near you who happens to have the same modem for broadband, doesn't matter if its the Silver Speedtouch or Black Speedtouch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…