USB computer to computer file transfer

Air_Man 20:35 21 Apr 06

I would like to transfer a large amount of data (20+ GB) from my laptop to my desktop. Is there a cable I can just "plug-and-play" or do I need something more sophisticated. I remember using "Laplink" many years ago, but I'm sure by now there must be something simpler. Both computers are Win XP Pro and up-to-date hardware wise. I am thinking a USB 2.0 cable of some sort. I really want PnP as one is a company machine and one a personal machine.

Thx.

woodchip 20:42 21 Apr 06

This is what you need.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 21 Apr 06
  ruskle 20:48 21 Apr 06

I agree with Woodchip, I recently used one to transfer an awful lot of data beteeen two laptops and didn't experience any problems.
Must admit I bought mine from a retail outlet and paid a little bit more but it did it's job and was worth it.

Ruskle

Terry Brown 20:51 21 Apr 06

There are some small USB drives about that hold about 50gb of data, which might be the easiest way to copy files from your company(Legally ?) to your laptop.(or Visa-Versa)
You could also ask for your laptop to be added to the network, so you could copy files direct, or there are large USB drives (200gb +)for under £100(Very handy for backups). These just plug into the appropiate machine and copy or load data-assuming your company machine has not got a hardware /software copy protection system

Air_Man 21:12 21 Apr 06

Thanx everyone. Thought there must be something out there. No copy protection - all legal and above board. Its as boring as the fact that I have a big DB I am working on this weekend, and find my laptop screen a bit too small when I have a 19" CRT sat next to it!

Oh, BTW - Vive la CRT! its what corners were meant for ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…