USB causing crashes

harimadsol 23:34 10 Jul 08

For the past few months, my computer has been crashing when I plug a flash drive into the USB port. It only happened intermittently, and when the computer rebooted I could access the drive. Yesterday I plugged my camera into the USB and the computer crashed, but it wouldn't stay on as long as the camera was connected. I tried the flash drive and got the same problem. It's happening both with the front and back USB ports. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's wrong and how to fix it?

I'm running XP 2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:12 11 Jul 08

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

harimadsol 00:18 11 Jul 08

I just uninstalled everything under USB in device manager, then rebooted. It's still crashing. I don't even get an error message, just a black screen and it's gone. I sent an error report to Microsoft and a browser window popped up saying the report was corrupted.

rdave13 00:23 11 Jul 08

Sometimes this can happen if you have a non powered usb hub connected to one of your usb ports. If you haven't then possibly PSU failing.

harimadsol 00:49 11 Jul 08

There's no usb hub connected. How would I find out if it's a PSU issue?

oldbeefer2 08:26 11 Jul 08

This happened some weeks ago to me, but only with the front ports. A short time later the PSU packed up. After fitting a new one, front ports OK again!

harimadsol 22:13 11 Jul 08

I turned off my auto restart, and here's the error message I received:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

It then recommended that I disable new hardware or software, of which I don't have any. It also suggested that I disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. I don't know exactly what that means, or how to go about accomplishing it. Or even if it's a good idea.

Then under technical information it said:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF89F9CE7, 0x00000000, 0x8056FAAC, 0x00000000)

***Cdaudio.SYS - Address F89F9CE7 base at F89F9CE7, Datestamp 00000000

ronalddonald 00:17 12 Jul 08

insert usb connection b4 switching on computer.
If yes then try to connected usb after compter runs to opening page of xp. I have similar problem with laptop, if i swithc on laptop with usb already inserted it crashes but if not inserted and i swithc on it doenst crash. Thoght might be similar problem.

harimadsol 00:30 12 Jul 08

I've tried all variations of when I insert the usb device. It crashes the system no matter what :(

rdave13 00:37 12 Jul 08

Still think it's a PSU problem. Do you know of anyone that can either lend you one of same dimensions or someone that has an electronic tester that can actually test what's going on when you connect a device to your USB port?

Jarhead 15:26 13 Jul 08

Are you using a wireless USB adapter? I was doing so from a cheap brand and after a while discovered that it was not only running very hot but it would lock the PC up when attempting to surf. Removing the adapter worked fine. I got round the problem by throwing it away and getting a Belkin one instead.Swap out your USB stick perhaps. Using a powered hub didn't make a difference FYI.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…