USB causes pc to shut down

slowhand_1000 17:13 20 Oct 09

A friend of mine asked me for some help due to USB problem.

Last week she installed software for a new digi cam she bought. Switched her printer on to run some photos and the screen went black, with just the curser on screen.

Once she said a BSOD came up with she thinks 0x00000007e error code. She was not sure if she saw the 'e' after the code.

I've tried her printer in all ports (4 rear, 2 front) and get the same result.

I've tried 2 usb flash pens and 1 external hdd, same result.

If she tries her digi cam it works.

I've tried a usb mouse and also connected my HP laser printer and they work on all ports.

I've tried a new PSU I had (just in case) but that didn't work.

I've also uninstalled the USB ports through Device Manager and let them reinstall on restart.

Cheers

slowhand

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:41 20 Oct 09

XP or Vista?

slowhand_1000 18:14 20 Oct 09

Oops sorry

It's XP Home SP3

slowhand_1000 18:16 20 Oct 09

I've also just tried swapping some RAM from another pc. But it still happening

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 20 Oct 09

Usually a corrupt registry a repair install is the best way to go do you have a XP CD?

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

T0SH 18:33 20 Oct 09

Try using a self powered usb hub (the ones that come with a power supply) to connect the cam they are high power usage devices that will normally use close to the maximum 500 mA from the usb port, moving this onto a powered hub will reduce the load on the onboard and should stop the problem you are having

Cheers HC

slowhand_1000 19:24 20 Oct 09

Fruit Bat

Tried the sfc but no luck I'm afraid.

Tosh

No luck there either. I plugged the usb hub in and got the same result. Black screen.

Cheers

woodchip 19:36 20 Oct 09

Go into Device Manager Uninstall all USB at bottom left. restart Computer and let it do its thing on loading USB once again, then Retry USB

slowhand_1000 19:53 20 Oct 09

woodchip

All usb? - USB Root Hub plus all other instances in the list

I uninstalled just the USB Root Hub in the list before but not the other instances in the list

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 20 Oct 09

If still no good after woodchip's advice

then try Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

and retry

If still NO good then do a Full repair install of XP

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

slowhand_1000 20:08 20 Oct 09

I have to go out so will try fixes tomorrow and post back asap.

Thanks for the prompt advice chaps

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…