USB card doesn't seem to give me USB 2 speed

Jonathan314159 16:04 12 Aug 06

I've just installed a USB 2 card into a PCI slot to give me four extra USB 2 ports. The computer already had 6 USB ports - as far as I can tell they are all USB 2.

I've now added an external hard drive - but it seems I'm only getting USB 1 speed when connecting to the PCI card USB port. (I don't get that warning bubble though, the thing that says "you can get a better speed"). Video is very slow as is transfer of data. The hard drive is fine when connected to the other USB slots though.

Any ideas why this should be?

Also just for interest, I can't see how to test what I've got except by plugging something into the port. I've never really understood the device manager information here - it currently lists 2 USB 2.0 hubs and 5 USB root hubs. Also a USB 2 enhanced host controller and 3 USB universal host controllers.

So is there a way to get the PCI card speed up to what it should be. I'm running Windows XP with an Asus P4B533-V motherboard.

Greengage 16:09 12 Aug 06

Have you got SP2 installed?

Jonathan314159 16:22 12 Aug 06

Yes, SP2 is installed

Greengage 16:33 12 Aug 06

I believe you should have two USB Enhanced Controllers listed in Device Manager and that was why I thought SP2 might have been the problem.I haven't any other ideas apart from physically uninstalling from the PCI slot, rebooting,check the device manager to see how it compares and then, after switching everything off, re-install to the PCI slot and re-boot.

sean-278262 19:15 12 Aug 06

Are you sure the speeds you are getting are what you expect. USB 2.0 at its full capacity is 480mbps (megabits) or 60mb (megabytes) per second. So at the very very very top end it can achieve 60mb throughput. However on any I have seen the normal value is about 45mb.

I have seen plenty of people tell me usb 2.0 is able to send 480megabytes and spent many an hour explaining why it isnt true.

Jonathan314159 20:42 12 Aug 06

Thanks Greengage - I may end up uninstalling and reinstalling the card.

Creature of the Nite - interesting point on the bit/byte difference. Computer measures seem designed to confuse (the 80MB hard drive which only actually has 70 something real MB springs to mind as well)
However I've no idea what actual speed the data gets through at (or how I would measure it). But it is very clear just from observation - ie I played some video stored on the external hard drive. Using the USB port on the card I installed it kept freezing. Swapping to the other USB ports and it runs as normal ie properly.

sean-278262 22:08 12 Aug 06

Transfer a video file that is 600mb if it takes about 20 seconds that is about right.

However if swapping ports is making it drastically faster it sounds more like a duff port.

Greengage 15:36 15 Aug 06

Perhaps reading here click here might help.

Stuartli 15:53 15 Aug 06

ARe all the USB ports Enabled in the Bios?

Greengage 19:35 15 Aug 06

Sorry - my last post was meant for a different title!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…