USB card compatibility

sutemil 18:48 11 Dec 07

My Desktop has 2 ports(in use)connected to motherboard and 4 PCI slots. 3 are vacant.
I want to add some more ports for (at present) a scanner.

What information do I need to have to get a card compatible with my system/memory or whatever ?

I have read a number of Forum threads on the subject of USB but the type of card required is never mentioned or does it not matter.

I have a Gateway Essential 866
Pentium III 866 Mhz
Windows Me
384 Mb RAM

Thanks to anyone who can help.

SANTOS7 18:58 11 Dec 07

click here

If its more USB ports you need a powered USB hub may be the answer to your problem an example is shown in the link...

Totally-braindead 19:23 11 Dec 07

For an internal one something like this click here or a cheaper one click here

sutemil 11:05 14 Dec 07

Totally-braindead

From the age of my PC I suspect the ports are USB1.1
Am I correct to think that if I use a USB2 hub it will operate at 1.1 speed
Therefore better to insert USB 2 card.

I have read some of your other responses on this matter and think that is what you say.

Thanks

jack 11:48 14 Dec 07

If your Mother Board is USB 1 then a USB2 PCI card is
possibly a better bet than a hub.
Even here I suspect the motherboard chip set will have the last say- lowest common denominator

Totally-braindead 15:54 14 Dec 07

Yes you are correct if you connect a USB 2.0 hub to USB 1.1 sockets they will revert to USB 1.1.
The only way to get USB 2.0 on a computer that has only USB 1.1 is to buy a PCI card such as you have been given links to.
They will all be USB 2.0 but your original ports will stay USB 1.1.
One final point, having USB 2.0 as opposed to USB 1.1 makes a huge difference with some items such as flash drives, hard drives, video cameras etc but items like printers and scanners the difference is slight, with most theres virtually no difference as the printer or whatever is slower than even USB 1.1. So a scanner working on USB 2.0 might be the same speed as the same scanner on USB 2.0. I think it depends on the scanner. I know my one and the one I had before run no faster on USB 2.0.

sutemil 17:25 05 Jan 08

Thank you for your replies. I have installed internal Belkin USB2 card and all is working perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…