USB camera and interference

Ray5776 22:36 12 Nov 05

Hi everyone, anyone got an answer to this one.
I have installed a webcam in my porch so that I can see who is at the door (Not secret or for security)
I have used a cheap webcam and connected it with a 5m active USB lead. It works fine most of the time then suddenly get a load of background noise (Hissing sounds) I cant stop the noise, and cant close the program not even using Cont Alt Del.
The only thing I can do is reboot.

woodchip 22:42 12 Nov 05

May be damp in connections or camera

Skyver 22:44 12 Nov 05

Is it connected directly to your PC, or via a powered hub?

Ray5776 22:59 12 Nov 05

Thanks for you suggestion Woodchip but I only put it in this morning so I would not think that is the trouble.
Skyver, It is connected via an unpowered hub, strange as it may seem if I connect it direct a USB port it wont work. What I mean is the hub does not have its own power supply it is powered by the pc.

Skyver 23:01 12 Nov 05

It may be that there isn't enough power getting through - see if you can beg/borrow/st...no just the first two, a powered USB hub.

Ray5776 23:37 12 Nov 05

Got back at last, sorry for the delay, I think it is a power suply thing, but arent they just tranformers that either work or dont.

Skyver 23:40 12 Nov 05

Given the length of cable, a good power supply is essential - your PC may not be able to provide the neccessary oomph on it's own. 500ma is the standard output from a USB port, it depends on the quality of the cable how much Resistance will sap that supply before it reaches your camera.

woodchip 23:41 12 Nov 05

If the USB Hub as got a Mains Adapter it may have failed. But they are dificult to test as some new ones now are switching so no power comes out unless there is a Load i.e Web Cam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…