usb cables

jon2 15:46 05 Jan 07

I would like to know what the fat bit is on a USB cable and can you use the wrong cable for any one apliance, or are they universal

Stuartli 15:49 05 Jan 07

As there are (IIRC) at least 27 different types of USB cables, you need to use the one necessary for the purpose intended.

Some examples:

click here

click here

Maundy 15:59 05 Jan 07

I guess you are referring to the fat collars which are interference screening devices, one at each end local to the male and female connectors.
Quite apart from USB 1, 1,1 and 2.0 graded cables which are all backward compatable and generally 'universal' there are different types of USB cable, the regular A to B being the common type for connecting most appliances though some equipment such as cameras have their own special connection at the appliance end and where this is the case the cable is invariably supplied with the equipment.
Other types include 'extension cables' though it is prefferable to avoid these unless absolutely necessary.

Gongoozler 17:23 05 Jan 07

As Maundy says, the fat bits are for screening purposes. Because the cable is connecting two separate pieces of equipment, its quite likely that there are different levels of noise on the earth of each equipment. The filter isolates them. The principle of operation is very simple and quite clever. Because the whole cable passes through the core of magnetic material if the signal current passing through the core exactly balances the return current there is no impedance to the flow. Any imbalance such as would be caused by earth differences are strongly impeded.

Gongoozler 17:38 05 Jan 07

I have bought loads of USB cables from here click here and not had any bother with any despite the ridiculously low price of some of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…