USB cable to link 2 computers

setecio 09:59 20 Jun 07

I'm looking for a USB cable to plug into 2 computers so that I can transfer files from one to the other. I want something as simple to use as possible, without having to go into network settings or file sharing settings.

When I plug a USB flash drive in, XP loads the driver and I can transfer to and from the drive - that is the kind of simplicity I'm looking for.

Is that how the USB to USB cables work or do they require more complicated setting up ?

Thanks.

johnnyrocker 10:03 20 Jun 07

click here

johnny.

Quiet Life 10:37 20 Jun 07

You will need a USB cable with special circuitry for the connection of two computers. You cannot connect with ordinary cable as you will damage the computers. Unless both machines are USB2 it will be very slow and you will still have to setup the connection through either software supplied with the cable or MS Network Wizard. Two LAN cards and a Cat 5 cross over cable is another alternative. Depending on the size of files to be transferred a larger flash drive is the simplest method. I have a LAN but use a flash drive for transferring files as it saves having both machines on at the same time

wjrt 14:21 20 Jun 07
  ambra4 16:11 20 Jun 07

Look at this unit I have one and it works excleant
once you connect the cable it check both PC.

Bring up a split screen on each pc showing both hard drive of each PC, you then just drag and drop the files

click here

woodchip 20:45 20 Jun 07
  Epirb406 21:00 20 Jun 07

Reading this thread out of interest and have no desire to hijack!

However, could either quite life or anyone else tell me how plugging in a usb cable at both ends would damage the computer?

Thanks, Epirb

woodchip 21:04 20 Jun 07

It will not damage the comp if its a link cable as above. You also have to load the software off the CD on both computers for it to work

Epirb406 21:13 20 Jun 07

what if it is just a standard cable, what damage does it do?

Brgds, Epirb

woodchip 21:17 20 Jun 07

It will not work. What it does is Bang

setecio 22:58 20 Jun 07

Thanks, but most of those require network setup.

The link from Ambra4 is what I'm after, which doesn't require any setup, thanks.

As for using an ordinary USB cable, well you can't as the common USB cable that is described as 'usual' cannot physically be plugged into 2 computers as one plug will be the squareish shape that won't fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…