USB cable length

hugeb 16:28 17 Mar 03

Is there an optimum length for connecting a USB printer to my laptop? Lexmark say my 3m cable is too long and it should be 1.5-2.0m max?
I have a problem with my X85 not being recongnised everytime I start up my computer. I then have to uninstal the software and then reinstal before I can use the printer.
This sounds like waffle but they say that "the information is being lost due to the long cable"
Any answers?

Megatyte 16:41 17 Mar 03

The maximum length for full speed devices is 5 metres and for low speed it is 3 metres.

AH

cherria 16:44 17 Mar 03

Quite possibly true. USB cables are usually short (1.5-2m in length) so a longer cable could be causing you problems. See if you can borrow somebodies shorter USB cable and see if it works then decide if you need the extra lenght. If you do need 3m, you may have to buy a higher quality cable.

Ive got a Lexmark Z33 and I use the length of the USB cable they supplied, plus a 3m extension. Never had any problems.

Belatucadrus 16:59 17 Mar 03

Sounds unlikely that an extra meter of cable would cause significant communication problems between PC and printer, a faulty cable maybe, but even then I can't see why you would need to reinstall the software. As you said this sounds like waffle, but it could be worth trying another cable. click here for some decent prices.

MAJ 17:00 17 Mar 03

Yup, in some cases the length is important. I couldn't get my HP Photosmart 7350 to install unless I used a 3m or shorter USB cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…