USB Broadband. How to get away from it?

Ridleyrider 13:26 22 Mar 06

I have a fairly old PC (3+ years) and I am running BT Broadband via USB.

Windows XP
512mb Ram
Athlon 2600

I would like to get away from USB, as it seems to be an unstable platform.

I am unsure what Ethernet is, if I need a Network Card (whatever that is) etc....

I have these yellow cables with my Broadband supplied by BT and I think they are for Ethernet but unsure whatthey are for.

Can anyone help?

rmcqua 13:40 22 Mar 06

The yellow cables may be for ethernet. They have a modular plug, usually transparent plastic and a bit larger than the RJ11 plugs that go into the rear of telephones etc.
You will need a network interface on your PC. Most modern motherboards come equipped with anj integral one, so check that you have or do not have, on the rear of your PC, a socket that will accept the yellow cable plugs.
If you don't find a suitable socket, let us know and we will reccomend some suitable PCI netwrok card (they are very cheap).

dmc727 14:23 22 Mar 06

To check if you have an ethernet connection first look at the rear of your computer for an RJ45 Ethernet Port – looks like this: click here

Then look in your computer Device Manager to see if you have an entry called – Network adapters. If answer to these two questions is yes you have the equivalent of a network card. If not you would need to purchase and slot in a new network card.

Then you need an Ethernet router preferably one which BT recommends. Can either be wired or wireless. A wired router (usually best for sole computer user) setup looks like this:click here

ade.h 15:51 22 Mar 06

If you're not going down the networking route, why don't you just buy a PCI ADSL modem instead. Ver stable, easy control of the connection and no extra parts required. click here= That's the model that I used to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…