USB and Broadband

goll_y 08:43 18 Sep 04

I've just decided to make the move from Dialup to broadband (it's been a long time!).

Anyway, I've gone with wanadoo and plugged in the modem into the USB port upon which the computer decided to restart itself. I've also previously had mouse problems in the USB port.

If I buy a PCI card with USB will that help? I tried both USB ports and neither work. Using Windows XP Home and the computer is a few years old now.

How is the USB powered and how, in the long run could I get the USB ports to run?

Diodorus Siculus 10:04 18 Sep 04

If I buy a PCI card with USB will that help? - it may, but much will depend on the source of the problem.

What is the rating of your PSU? It may be too low. But having said that, I doubt that the mouse would drain much power from it so that is unlikely.

billyliv 10:21 18 Sep 04

Hi, Sounds like your USB controller drivers need updating. A PCI card will certainly be of much help as it will provide its own drivers. Cheers, Bill

goll_y 15:55 19 Sep 04

Yep brought the PCI card and now it works!

goll_y 15:56 19 Sep 04

Yep brought the PCI card and now it works!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…