USB and bios? problem

Colinp 10:54 09 Nov 05

I have been given a computer to try and fix. It would seem that the owner has managed to disable the USB side of things and as the keyboard and mouse are both USB, I can't get past his log in screen.

I have tried to get into the Bios to see if I can rectify things there, but that is password protected (Its a Phoenix bios). I have tried putting the password "phoenix" in, but it does not want to know.

Any help please.

ACOLYTE 11:06 09 Nov 05

Change the keyboard and mouse for ps2 ones and see if that helps.

Doire_Bhoy 11:06 09 Nov 05

Ask the owner what the BIOS password is.

Colinp 11:18 09 Nov 05

Thanks ACOLYTE, but there are no ps2 ports. It has to be USB.

Doire_Bhoy, its a fairly new machine and I don't think the owner will know what the password is, probably factory set.

Colinp 13:26 09 Nov 05

bump

ACOLYTE 14:40 09 Nov 05

No ps2 port? and it a fairly new pc,strange there usually at least 1 on any pc.

Colinp 15:38 09 Nov 05

ACOLYTE, by ps2 i am thinking of where you would connect a normal, (that is not USB), mouse and keyboard. I cannot find sockets that would accept a normal mouse and a keyboard, so it has to be USB.

The computer in question is a click here

smurfling 15:50 09 Nov 05

According to that spec there are ps/2connections at the rear of the machine along with serial and usb connections, unusual to find a pc without ps/2 on it.

ACOLYTE 15:51 09 Nov 05

Strange,i thought all pc's had these ports,they are usually color coded with a little icon.What make of pc is it?.

zarobian 16:10 09 Nov 05

Do you know the Motherboard's Manufacturer. If yes go to their site and download the documention on your computer.Surely there would be a jumper on the board to clear the BIOS password.

I was once in a similar situation and reluctantly removed the cmos battery momenterly which cleared the BIOS password.

I am sure there would be somebody else who will recommend such course of action.

Wait and see.

Belatucadrus 16:34 09 Nov 05

Question :- If it's a USB keyboard & USB is disabled, how are you trying to put in the password ?

Reported Phoenix BIOS backdoor passwords include BIOS, CMOS, phoenix, and PHOENIX. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…