USB Bandwith exceeded

Red Knight 18:22 16 Jul 07

Hi everyone!

I've started getting a "USB bandwidtth exceeded" message when windows loads. Usually the BIOS halts during startup cause it doesnt recognise the keyboard (only recitifed after i turn off pc, open case, replace case cover and turn back on again) but it doesnt happen all the time. I only have a Logitech Media keyboard, G5 mouse and router attached to my PC (2 at back and 1 at front). In total i have 8 USB ports (4 Front, 4 back). Running Win XP SP2.
If anyone can help, would be much appreciated!

skidzy 18:32 16 Jul 07

Do you have a usb modem connected...such as the speedtouch or similar ?

skidzy 18:41 16 Jul 07

In Device Manager you can view the property/advanced page for the host controller to see bandwidth status. Pressing Refresh in the dialog box after making any changes updates bandwidth data to show whether bandwidth is freed.

Sorry just re-read your post..router connected.

Dipso 21:18 16 Jul 07

Is the router connected to USB?

Red Knight 22:02 16 Jul 07

I have a speedtouch router connected. It's really strange cuz it's just started doing it for no real reason.

skidzy 22:18 16 Jul 07

Dipso may advise differently here.

First thing i would do is uninstall everything under usb in device manager and reboot,let xp reinstall the usb drivers.

See if that improves things.

woodchip 22:34 16 Jul 07

Too many USB items attached, used mains adapter powered one where you can

northwales 22:36 16 Jul 07

In the first page of the Bios select Halt on All Errors Except Keyboard.

Is it an old pc with USB 1.0 ?
If not and it is USB 2.0 then the cabling for the front USB ports may be dated and therefore is USB 1.0

This should'nt be a problem if you are not using the front ports but you could experiment by removing them off the motherboard or just use rear ports.

The other thing may be the quality of the power unit PSU may be poor? I gamble on front port problem or some type of damage around rear USB and keybord socket area.

skidzy has given sound advice.

woodchip 22:43 16 Jul 07

Try starting the Compute with Modem disconnected

woodchip 22:51 16 Jul 07

Is the Mains Power Supply to the Modem still working?

Red Knight 19:58 18 Jul 07

Hmm, will try reinstalling etc.
Though if my BIOS does'nt detect a keyboard it says "No keyboard present. Press F1 or Delete to go to setup" or course the keyboard isn't working, so, good advice ASUS!
Anyways, I really dont think it's a USB 1 USB 2 problem cause the PC is brand new (<6 months) and the keyboard is new and so is the mouse (Logitech Media Elite and Logi G5).
Can't be too many USB's attached cuz it's only 3 and the PSU is fairly decent.
Will do what skidzy suggests n see what happens.
V.puzzling and highly annoying problem! >:(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…