usb adaptor or network card for wifi?

dooplex 13:13 22 Jun 09

Hello
have just signed up for O2 wireless broadband and have been able to connect my work laptop without any problem. My own PC (running vista) has no wireless connection - a few questions:
1. What provides a more reliable connection, a usb adpator or network card?
2. How easy is a network card to physically install in the PC?
3. Any recommendations of either an adaptor or network card?
Thanks in advance for your help

mgmcc 20:18 22 Jun 09

1. To be honest, I haven't found any significant difference between types of Wireless Network Adapter. I have an internal PCI card, three different USB adapters and, in a laptop, a PCMCIA card. USB adapters have the advantage that, with an extension cable, they can be located to get the best signal.

2. It isn't difficult. Locate a free PCI slot on the motherboard, remove the corresponding "blanking" plate at the back of the PC's case, then slot in the card and tighten its retaining screw. Be sure to "ground" yourself to avoid damaging components with static.

3. I have a Belkin USB dongle which has performed faultlessly with whatever I've used it with - various versions of Windows, Mac OSX, SuSE Linux etc.

Covergirl 12:47 25 Jun 09

I only have experience of one WNA and that was a Philips SNU5600.

I thought it was quite bad at picking up the wireless signal so I bought a card which was a doddle to fit (as above).
Just make sure you get the correct card interface for your PC which (if you're running Vista) will probably be some variety of PCI.

One small consideration is where you will permanently site the router. If it's going to be at the other end of the house (like mine is) you might need a wireless device with a good range (distance).

dooplex 20:52 28 Jun 09

Thank you for your responses!

Strawballs 22:47 28 Jun 09

as with mgmcc a dongle on an extention lead can be moved away from the interference of the electrics of the PC itself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple