USB adapters

Doberman 15:34 14 Sep 04

I am arranging to have broadband installed by NTL and one of the requirements is a spare USB port. I currently have two ports ,one running the scanner and the other the printer.Can I run the scanner and printerfrom the same port using a splitter? Will this cause any problems?

Old Shep 15:49 14 Sep 04

You can buy a usb hub some take up to 7 devices. Words of warning, I bought one that just plugged into the computer wouthout its own power,not very good. Got another which plugs into the mains takes 4 devices,very good. The only thing you may find as I did was that my modem does not like to be anywhere but in one of the pc's main usb slots

Diodorus Siculus 16:48 14 Sep 04

I would suggest a PCI USB card which will provide up to 4 extra ports - they are more reliable than hubs.

wallbash 17:18 14 Sep 04

I might be totally wrong (often am)but I have a NTL BB connection. And on set up you are asked how you are going to connect the modem. USB or ethernet.

If you have an ethernet/Lan card in your PC , no problems!

A ethernet/Lan is far the better way

Bris 21:35 14 Sep 04

As suggested its best to get a PCI USB 2 card, failing that get a hub with its own power supply cos USB has a current limit and if you exceed it things stop working, every piece of equipment you attach draws current from it. Second point is that I have heard of many problems associated with connecting broadband to USB which have been cured by using the ethernet adapter instead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:16 14 Sep 04

HAve had to sort several NTL USB Modem problems,

Bad connections dropouts etc. NTL cable modems work far better with ethernet cable than USB.

If you don't have a LAN connection on your PC a card costs about £8

Doberman 10:20 15 Sep 04

Thanks to all respondents ( too numerous to mention individually) It is as I thought and can now sort it out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…