USB adapter into USB 1.1 port?

dagbladet 21:02 30 Aug 05

Apologies if this is a daft question. I am looking to go broadband for the first time. I would like to share the connection between my home PC and my daughters celeron laptop which she will use upstairs. I have seen deals on routers with 'bundled' USB adapters. Both machines are USB 1.1 only. Is this a problem? if so what kit do I need? Thanks

Strawballs 21:44 30 Aug 05

click here If you don't mind leaving your machine on all the time that your daughter is online look here. If not then you will need a wireless router and either 2 usb wireless adapters or a PCI wireless card for your desktop and a PCMCIA card for the laptop, if your broadband is cable then you will need a router with network connection or if it is over a phoneline you will need a modem/router.

wjrt 22:42 30 Aug 05

simple ideas

click here

let u know different ways to connect

dagbladet 10:14 01 Sep 05

Thanks for the ideas so far. However I am still unclear as to wether the USB adapter will work with USB 1.1, which the laptop is running.

dave_and_confused 10:17 01 Sep 05

Or post some of the deals you have seen here and we can look for you.

dagbladet 10:24 01 Sep 05

Thanks Dave, this one click here clearly states that it is a USB 2.0 adapter. What I need to know is if I plug it into USB 1.1 will it work at all, or at reduced speed, will it be more like dial-up than BB speed etc. cheers

dave_and_confused 11:39 01 Sep 05

The adapter is a DWL-G122 aparently.

TThis page - click here - states "Using the DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter, you can now enable 802.11g wireless connectivity for your PC using the convenience and speed of a USB 2.0 interface**. "

At the bottom of the page is says "** Compatible with USB 1.1 port. If used with 1.1 port, throughput may be diminished."

Maybe worth getting a USB 2 card?

dagbladet 12:06 01 Sep 05

Thanks Dave. Opens up a whole can of worms. Have never opened the laptop before.

dave_and_confused 13:02 01 Sep 05

click here

Nisis PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card

Plugs in to PCMCIA port and gives you two USB 2 ports....

Never tried one but just to show they are avalible...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch