USB adapter into USB 1.1 port?

dagbladet 21:02 30 Aug 05

Apologies if this is a daft question. I am looking to go broadband for the first time. I would like to share the connection between my home PC and my daughters celeron laptop which she will use upstairs. I have seen deals on routers with 'bundled' USB adapters. Both machines are USB 1.1 only. Is this a problem? if so what kit do I need? Thanks

Strawballs 21:44 30 Aug 05

click here If you don't mind leaving your machine on all the time that your daughter is online look here. If not then you will need a wireless router and either 2 usb wireless adapters or a PCI wireless card for your desktop and a PCMCIA card for the laptop, if your broadband is cable then you will need a router with network connection or if it is over a phoneline you will need a modem/router.

wjrt 22:42 30 Aug 05

simple ideas

click here

let u know different ways to connect

dagbladet 10:14 01 Sep 05

Thanks for the ideas so far. However I am still unclear as to wether the USB adapter will work with USB 1.1, which the laptop is running.

dave_and_confused 10:17 01 Sep 05

Or post some of the deals you have seen here and we can look for you.

dagbladet 10:24 01 Sep 05

Thanks Dave, this one click here clearly states that it is a USB 2.0 adapter. What I need to know is if I plug it into USB 1.1 will it work at all, or at reduced speed, will it be more like dial-up than BB speed etc. cheers

dave_and_confused 11:39 01 Sep 05

The adapter is a DWL-G122 aparently.

TThis page - click here - states "Using the DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter, you can now enable 802.11g wireless connectivity for your PC using the convenience and speed of a USB 2.0 interface**. "

At the bottom of the page is says "** Compatible with USB 1.1 port. If used with 1.1 port, throughput may be diminished."

Maybe worth getting a USB 2 card?

dagbladet 12:06 01 Sep 05

Thanks Dave. Opens up a whole can of worms. Have never opened the laptop before.

dave_and_confused 13:02 01 Sep 05

click here

Nisis PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card

Plugs in to PCMCIA port and gives you two USB 2 ports....

Never tried one but just to show they are avalible...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…