USB Adapter or Wireless Card ?

mr-greenkey 22:36 PM 22 Jan 12
Answered

I don't know what to get. What one should I get and what type ? I have absolutely no idea what to get and I really need help with this one.

Snec 23:29 PM 22 Jan 12

An adapter doesn't need fitting so I'd go that way - it's easier and they work fine. Anything from TP-Link or Belkin will be good but make sure you get a 802.11n and 300mbps one with built in antenna. You can get them more or less anywhere.

Ibanez2010 08:03 AM 23 Jan 12

Wireless adapter if you use a laptop. Wireless card if using a desktop. I'd avoid Belkin (had too many problems in the past) and go for TP-Link instead.

Ian in Northampton 08:05 AM 23 Jan 12

I have two desktops running wireless via a USB dongle, and performance is just fine: both speed-test at just under 6Mbps. I guess fitting a card internally is a more 'elegant' solution (and may save you a valuable USB port) but from a performance point of view, I don't think there's anything to choose.

mr-greenkey 16:28 PM 23 Jan 12

Is this one suitable ? Ignore the pricing and what not, I mean just the card.

Thanks for the replies :)

Ibanez2010 16:33 PM 23 Jan 12

Which one?

Woolwell 17:16 PM 23 Jan 12

Be aware that a card on a desktop usually means that the aerial is behind the tower and may be obscured by it.

Woolwell 17:17 PM 23 Jan 12

If the router is not far from the desktop then connect by cable.

mr-greenkey 17:17 PM 23 Jan 12

Oh woops I meant to post this link :D

Ibanez2010 18:14 PM 23 Jan 12
Answer

That would be fine, though you can get them cheaper on Amazon. You could get one with a relocation antenna so you can place it on your desk. http://www.ebuyer.com/220221-edimax-wireless-n150-pci-adapter-ew-7711in?utmsource=google&utmmedium=products

mr-greenkey 22:21 PM 23 Jan 12

@Woolwell

I would but the router is in the other room and I would have to drill a hole through the wall to get a LAN cable through so I don't think I csn do that.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites