USB 3 versus USB 2

redeyenewby 26 Oct 11

What is the difference between USB 2 and USB 3? Can a USB 3 BE PLUGGED INTO A usb 2 SLOT?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 26 Oct 11

USB 3.0 has speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, 10 times faster than USB2.0 (480 Mbit/s).

"New connectors and cables for higher speed data transfer while maintaining backward USB 2.0 compatibility"

Yes, USB2 devices work in USB3 slots, USB 3 devices can be plugged into USB2 slots but of course will only work at the slower (480Mbits) speed.

buteman 26 Oct 11

Just found out on my computer that I had my USB3 plugged into a usb2 port.

Just looked up my owner manual and it gives 1 USB3 port and the rest are usb2.

So I would think that if the ports are separate there must be a difference.

Needless to say I have now got it plugged into the USB3 port which updated the driver for it when I rebooted.

redeyenewby 27 Oct 11

Thank you Fruit Bat /\O/\ and buteman, I looked up a website which gave me a comprehensive explanation of the difference between the two. To ,odify mu computer to accept USB3 (which is 10 times faster than USB2 would, I understand, be horrendously expensive). My computer, although not ancient, is definitely pre USB3. I learned that USB3 is backward compatible, so it shouldn't be a problem with existting equipment.. The article was fascinating. Aparently USB1.0 USB1.2 have 2 speeds, USB2 has 3 speeds ans USB3 has 4 speeds. Sorry, I hope I;m not teaching my Grabdmother how to suck eggs. Thanks for your information.

buteman 27 Oct 11

redeyenewby

I can't see any difference using usb3 rather than usb2,But then again I don't play games or anything like that so I cannot really comment on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 27 Oct 11

If you have PCIexpress slot free a USB3 card is as little as £16

see here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message