USB 3 versus USB 2

redeyenewby 26 Oct 11

What is the difference between USB 2 and USB 3? Can a USB 3 BE PLUGGED INTO A usb 2 SLOT?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 26 Oct 11

USB 3.0 has speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, 10 times faster than USB2.0 (480 Mbit/s).

"New connectors and cables for higher speed data transfer while maintaining backward USB 2.0 compatibility"

Yes, USB2 devices work in USB3 slots, USB 3 devices can be plugged into USB2 slots but of course will only work at the slower (480Mbits) speed.

buteman 26 Oct 11

Just found out on my computer that I had my USB3 plugged into a usb2 port.

Just looked up my owner manual and it gives 1 USB3 port and the rest are usb2.

So I would think that if the ports are separate there must be a difference.

Needless to say I have now got it plugged into the USB3 port which updated the driver for it when I rebooted.

redeyenewby 27 Oct 11

Thank you Fruit Bat /\O/\ and buteman, I looked up a website which gave me a comprehensive explanation of the difference between the two. To ,odify mu computer to accept USB3 (which is 10 times faster than USB2 would, I understand, be horrendously expensive). My computer, although not ancient, is definitely pre USB3. I learned that USB3 is backward compatible, so it shouldn't be a problem with existting equipment.. The article was fascinating. Aparently USB1.0 USB1.2 have 2 speeds, USB2 has 3 speeds ans USB3 has 4 speeds. Sorry, I hope I;m not teaching my Grabdmother how to suck eggs. Thanks for your information.

buteman 27 Oct 11

redeyenewby

I can't see any difference using usb3 rather than usb2,But then again I don't play games or anything like that so I cannot really comment on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 27 Oct 11

If you have PCIexpress slot free a USB3 card is as little as £16

see here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message