USB 3 Cables & connections

Furkin 15:05 PM 16 Oct 11

I’ve just ordered a USB 3 PCIe 1x card for my desktop, & will be needing some cables,,, but more importantly – information please.

I know that USB3 is backward compatible, but the connectors are different. Are there cables around to connect either a usb3 PC to usb2 peripheral or usb3 peripheral to usb2 PC ?

My desktop will have both connections, but my laptop has only USB2, so I’ll need future peripherals to be adaptable. My next purchase is going to be an external HDD, so may well go for USB3,,,, as long as I can use it on the lappy as well.

At present, I don’t have anything that’s USB3, so don’t know what the connections are. I see at Scan that they have some basic [I think ?] cables - (LN32964 - LN33737), but I was wondering if all (or most) USB3 peripherals will have the same / standard connections, like usb2 ?

Cheers all

rdave13 15:38 PM 16 Oct 11

It looks from this list that the connections are compatible though I don't have USB 3. Hope someone will confirm, kenable

birdface 15:41 PM 16 Oct 11

It will just be a normal USB fitting on the mouse mine is.

Furkin 15:50 PM 16 Oct 11

Thanks guys,

Dave: I'll drop kenable a line to see if they do '3 to 2' adaptors.

BM: You using usb3 then ? If so, are you also using usb2 & how do you connect the different versions ?

gengiscant 16:12 PM 16 Oct 11

USB 3 A connection is the same as the usual USB connection.Look here: USB3 A

USB £ B and Micro here: USB 3 B + Micro

gengiscant 16:13 PM 16 Oct 11

USB £ = USB 3

Furkin 08:36 AM 17 Oct 11

Thanks guys, It becomes so clear when you ask the right people.

Gengiscant: Thanks for the pointers - it set me straight.

I was assuming that as the main connector had different leads, that it was a physically different one. I now liken the usb3 socket/cable to an adapter its self.

Right - time to make my mind up about a 2.5" hdd.

As usual, great help & advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know