Fateful Shadow 21:01 12 Aug 04

Firstly, what is it and how does it differ from the USB I know? Can a USB 2 device be used with an old USB port (the reason I ask is because I want to get a printer which has a "USB Compatible w/USB 2.0 Spec." connection) or will I have to upgrade somehow?

stalion 21:05 12 Aug 04

if you are getting a device that is usb2 compatible best to also buy an external usb2 hub.
usb2 is a lot faster than usb1

Lionheart ? 21:07 12 Aug 04

Bit of a read click here

Fateful Shadow 21:08 12 Aug 04

So, I can buy a USB 2 hub, stick it into a USB '1' port and have no conflicts? By the way, it's funny you should mention the hub because I was thinking about getting one of those too!

stalion 21:11 12 Aug 04

I do not think you will have a conflict but you could be only running at usb1 speed.I believe you can also get internal usb's but will have to let someone else on here advise you as I am not familiar with them

Totally-braindead 21:13 12 Aug 04

USB is backward compatible so if you only have USB1 it will work but only at the USB1 speed.

Fateful Shadow 21:21 12 Aug 04

The link Lionheart has given is very informative.

Thanks again :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 12 Aug 04

USB2 wil not work off a USB1.1 port.

The Port wiring configuration is the same but the electronics behind it is vastly different.

You can use a USB1.1 device in a USB2 port it will just run at the slower speed.

If your machine is designed for USB2 you need to have USB2 drivers installed to make it work at the faster speed. One of the drivers will contain the word ENHANCED.

Beware if buying a USB card /hub, 2 settings High speed and full speed.

High Speed is the 40X faster than USB 1.1 with a transfer rate of 480 Mbps.

Full speed 12 mbps

Totally-braindead 21:29 12 Aug 04

£7.99 from Dabs click here but make sure you have a spare PCI slot before you buy it.

Fateful Shadow 21:34 12 Aug 04

So if I got a printer which needed USB 2 and I plugged it into a USB 1.1 port it would work? So does that mean stalion and Totally Braindead are wrong, or am I confused (more likely the latter!)

stalion 21:39 12 Aug 04

no we are not wrong if you plug your printer in to a usb1 port it will run at that speed and not at the faster speed it is designed for

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…