USB 2.0 upgrade

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 23:03 31 Mar 04

Hi,
I am currently very confused over the whole usb 2.0 (high speed) and 1.1(full speed) upgradeability ;-(

I have an older motherboard an ASUS A7A266-E socket A AliMaGiK1 chipset. this has usb 1.1 ports installed and as standard.

simple so far ;-)

However I am looking to upgrade to 2.0(high speed) and install front loading ports (my arms are too short to reach the back of tower ;-) but is it as simple as installing a PCI card and driver and I can get 480MB transfer rates?

looking as some specifications on usb 2.0 cards they look for a PCI 2.1 slot. Looking at the mother board manual it seems to have a "2.2 standard PCI slot" but max 133MB PCI through put.

As you can imagine I dont want to shell out £30-£50 on nothing, so can someone please clear my ever foggy head.

Thanks

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:09 31 Mar 04

I just screwed mine in an empty slot at the back it wasnt a pci one and then connected the cable to the USB slot on the mobo.

Regards.

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 23:18 31 Mar 04

thanks, but more looking for the pci solution ;-)

although, what kind of attachement is that you have installed? could be an alternative if it works.

woodchip 23:23 31 Mar 04

That's OK if you use XP but it will not work with 98 or ME. It's got to be a PCI card with drivers

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:26 31 Mar 04

I dont really know the make it came with the Mobo i just installed it didnt look what make it was.

Regards.

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 23:31 31 Mar 04

cheers, but if it came with the motherboard something on the board would have been in place to support the faster usb 2.0?

Im not sure (or pretty sure) my ASUS board wasnt originaly concieved with the faster interface in mind :-(

Really what Im after is a yae/nae on wether or not this is upgradeable to usb 2.0 i.e if I stick in a Belkin usb 2.0 pci card will I get the faster connection? or just the 1.1 1.5MB or duff ports?

ta

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 23:33 31 Mar 04

Oh, should have mentioned it earlyer , its XP home thats the OS

woodchip 23:36 31 Mar 04

Then if you have USB on the motherboard near the back of the motherboard you can plug USB on to them two rows of pins but as you say they may only support usb 1.1

woodchip 23:37 31 Mar 04

PCI would still be the best bet but you should not need the drivers if you use XP

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:39 31 Mar 04

If you stick a pci USB 2 card in and install the drivers i dont see why u wouldnt get USB 2.0 speed if you were using USB 2.0 compatable Hardware,and they are backward compatable so you could still use USB 1.1 Hardware as well.
Yeah my board had a built in USB 2.0 connector
didnt think of that.

Regards.

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 23:44 31 Mar 04

ok, so although the motherboard is older (pre 2.0) it'll still work at the faster 480MB of usb 2.0 if I install a new card ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…