USB 2.0 ports dont work after reinstall

herc182 08:36 01 Jun 06

I recently installed windows xp home, and the usb ports 2.0 dont work.

I have x2 usb 1.1 (which work) and x4 usb 2.0 (which dont work).
I cant imagine i need to update my mobo (something like ASUS V733. AMD socket A. I have Athlon XP 2000+) bios.

Any ideas?

thanks

Tabvla 09:09 01 Jun 06

Could you talk us through exactly what you did.

1. Did you reinstall XP or did you do an upgrade from a previous version of Windows?

2. Were the USB 2.0 ports working prior to the install/reinstall?

3. How do you know that it is the ports that are not working? Could it be the equipment attached to the ports that is not working? Could it be a faulty cable? Have you installed the correct drivers for the equipment?

4. What is Windows Device Manager reporting? When you interogate the USB ports in WDM is it reporting everything OK or that there is a problem?

5. Have you run the Windows "Troubleshooter" on the ports?

JayDay 09:13 01 Jun 06

Check Device Manager and see if there are some yellow exclamation marks by the side of any devices. If there are remove them and then click 'scan for hardware changes'.

Windows should then find the new hardware.

Stuartli 09:18 01 Jun 06

The exclamation marks will only be removed by proper installation of drivers.

XP includes USB2.0 drivers and deleting a problem device or devices and then rebooting should ensure they are installed.

patsyanne 09:19 01 Jun 06

I had the same problem uninstall the drivers ,switch computer off then back on and the drivers load back on again .worked for me .

Newuser4165 11:29 01 Jun 06

Make certain you have installed SP2 as it is this update which includes the updated USB2 drivers

kjrider 12:06 01 Jun 06

It may be a problem with SP2 from MS.

Stuartli 13:02 01 Jun 06

To follow up Newuser4165's comment, as you have only just installed XP, I naturally presumed it included SP2.

One other way is to visit your motherboard manufacturer's website for mobo drivers, which should include USB2 drivers or go to:

click here

herc182 09:01 02 Jun 06

i am sure i replied to this post yesterday!
sorry.

I will look at the device manager, uninstall the drivers and restart the computer.

Tabvla:

1 - i reinstalled windows xp
2 - usb ports were working previously
3 - the device works on the USB 1.1 ports hence it should work on the USB 2.0
4 and 5 i have not done yet!

thanks

Freddog™ 09:04 02 Jun 06

"JayDay

The exclamation marks will only be removed by proper installation of drivers.

XP includes USB2.0 drivers and deleting a problem device or devices and then rebooting should ensure they are installed."

Just to let you know, I had the same problem but it wasn't bothering me, I did what JayDay said and it worked, why Windows didn't do it automaticly I don't know.

Newuser4165 13:46 02 Jun 06

If I've read your post correctly the motherboard you have is the Asus A7V333.
This is a relatively old board and has a mixture of USB1 and USB2 ports.
On the back panel there a 4 usb ports - the top 2 ,near the keyboard socket, are USB1 whilst the lower 2 are USB2.
The board also has a USB1 and USB2 headers either of which may be connected to front USB ports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…