//some 3rd party need geo

USB 2.0 ports

3rdday 23:28 25 Apr 04

Having discovered that my motherboard supports USB 2 on 4 of its 6 USB ports, I loaded the USB 2.0 drivers. As soon as I did so, all of my USB 1 devices which were connected to any of these 4 ports stopped working. If a connect them to either of the two USB 1 ports, they still work okay, but I've got three devices to go between two ports. so it's a bit of a problem.

I thought that USB 2.0 was supposed to be backwardly compatible, so that USB 1 devices would still work when connected to USB 2 ports?

Giggle n' Bits 23:48 25 Apr 04

Which Windows do you run ? also can you explain what USB Ports as in on the motherboard or a PCI card ? If you have XP you may possibly need to Do the Windows updates and there is one for USB 1.0 -USB 2.0 to fix a known problem.

Look in hardware/device manager against the USB,s if your USB 2 is intalled correctly you will read 1 line only saying USB 2.0 Enhanced controller this is the Main Hub and support the other USB Ports which are USB.

3rdday 00:00 26 Apr 04

I'm running XP. ALL 6 USB ports are on the motherboard.

Under Universal Serial Bus Controolers in Device Manager, it shows:

USB 2.0 Root Hub Device
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

I'll see if I can find that update you mention.

Eric10 16:53 26 Apr 04

Also check out Via's website for an updated driver click here

3rdday 22:43 26 Apr 04

I've installed VIA's latest drivers and now Device Manager has gone back to showing the root hub and controller devices as "USB" rather than "USB 2.0". Does this mean I am now back where I started with USB 1 support only? If so, why?

I've installed the latest motherboard BIOS as well, by the way, just in case that was the problem.

At least all my devices work now. Looks like I'm just going to have to put with my film scanner transferring at the lower speed again.

Cesar 09:31 27 Apr 04

Have you got Service Pack 1 Installed, you need it as it contains the files for USB.

3rdday 12:25 27 Apr 04

Yes, I do have SP1

Eric10 12:49 27 Apr 04

If you think that the Via drivers have made things worse then you get the option to uninstall them if you run the setup program again.

3rdday 13:14 27 Apr 04

I'm pretty much resigned to leaving things as they are now. The VIA drivers made things worse in that USB 2.0 support seems to have been removed, but at least I can now use all my devices again. I'm basically back to where I was before I started all this.

billyliv 13:36 27 Apr 04

Hi, If you really want USB 2 (maybe to run an Mp3 player), you should consider installing a PCI USB 2 card. I have USB 1 onboard and USB 2 on a PCI card. All 8 ports work. Cheers, Bill

3rdday 23:27 27 Apr 04

Thanks, I will consider a PCI card for the future. For the moment I will put up with USB 1 only. It would just have been nice to get something working that is supposed to work in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…