Is USB 2.0 in a PCI card worth having?

ade.h 23:58 22 Mar 04

Having bought my last motherboard shortly before USB 2.0 started to become commonplace, I now wish I could use the faster standard. So I wondered whether a PCI USB 2.0 card (such as Belkin or Adaptec) would give an appreciable speed boost, or whether it is limited by the PCI bus speed. My board is an Abit KG7 with AMD 761 northbridge and 33mhz PCI 2.2 bus.

Djohn 00:06 23 Mar 04

ade.h. I bought two of these cards to add to my board that had 1.1 only. The reason I bought them was simply because my peripheral hardware was also USB 2.0.

Can't say for certain that you will notice a difference but yes, the speed of data transfer will be much quicker from 12mbps-480mbps but in the end it will be determined by the speed of your hardware such as the scanner and printer engines. The transfer of photo's from camera to PC do seem to be quicker. j.

woodt 00:32 23 Mar 04

FWIW I purchased an USB2 card which works perfectly ....except it bu****s up my sound. If I want to do a system backup with Acronis or similar then I plug my external HDD in to my USB2 card otherwise I plug it into an old USB1 port. I mainly use the external HDD for my music collection when USB1 is fine.

ton 00:39 23 Mar 04

I use a KG7 raid mobo. I put in a PCI USB2 card with no problems.

When transfering large photo files to or from the PC it IS a lot faster than USB 1.1.

Diemmess 09:39 23 Mar 04

I had to fit a USB-PCI card so that I could use USB2 for an external (USB) HDisk.

With USB1 the data transfer of large folders is very slow indeed, and the change was well worth it. For scanners and printers I don't think there will be any difference, because of the speed limiting effect of the hardware.

billyliv 09:47 23 Mar 04

Hi, I got my sister to send me a USB 2. PCI card from the States. It has 2 external USB sockets and 4 sets of header pins on board that is perfect for installing a front panel card reader with 2 USB sockets. Nowhere in this country could I find a card with header pins on it. You really need USB 2 if you are connecting an MP3 player like the Zen Jukebox. Cheers, Bill

JerryJay 10:41 23 Mar 04

Almost any IT stuff you get from US, you can also get from UK if you search hard.

ade.h 18:41 23 Mar 04

Like billyliv, I will be using USB 2.0 for an MP3 player (not sure which yet, maybe a Muvo2 4Gb, definitely NOT an iPod) so the speed increase will be much welcomed. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…