usb 2.0 pci card

Nessie 23:38 24 Feb 04

Have bought a 4 port usb pci card. I have xp pro and when I switched on the pc after installing the card xp took over and installed drivers. I tried a usb device and it worked but I do not know if it is 1.1 or 2.0 speed. The device manager has via usb enhanced host controller. I then went and installed drivers off the floppy provided and all went well and the drivers were installed. I looked the device manager it has via usb 2.0 enhanced controller. When these drivers are in stalled no usb devices work. If I uninstall them they work fine again. At no time are there any yellow exlamation marks. I presume that if I leave it as it is so it works I will get 1.1 performance. Any ideas from you experts would be great. Thanks

Nessie 00:21 25 Feb 04

any help

temp003 03:20 25 Feb 04

If the native XP Pro drivers work, forget about the VIA driver. When Device Manager says usb ENHANCED, it is already usb2. So it's fine.

If the external device is usb2 (or to be precise, usb high speed, just to add to the confsion), it will be operating at the higher speed.

If the device is usb1, then normally you will get an "error" message (it's not an error at all) that you're using usb1 device. You can turn off that message in Device Manager, USB enhanced host controller, properties, one of the tabs, and untick the box for warn me about usb errors or something like that. Click OK.

LeadingMNMs 07:12 25 Feb 04

You could try searching for a newer driver on the manufacturers site.

Satmansq 07:47 25 Feb 04

Whenever i try to use my usb2 device on my usb1 port i recieve a message to tell me that the device will not work to its full potential.

This may be specific to the device or a message generally recieved.

Nessie 08:52 25 Feb 04

Thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…