USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor

SEASHANTY 12:58 09 Nov 03

Has anyone used this USB to IDE adaptor available for ?30 at Maplin. Or anything similar. I note that this comes also with power cord, power supply, CD Driver and user manual. Only thing it seems to lack is a caddy for the drive and I have three spare of these around somewhere. Appears to be a cheap way of utilising a spare hard drive as an external device. Useful perhaps if you are short on internal drive bays. Haven't noticed this product before
click here

expertec 13:01 09 Nov 03

Does it work out cheaper to buy an adpter, a caddy, and an internal hard drive than buying an external hard drive?

Quiller. 13:23 09 Nov 03

No I have not seen this device before. It looks as if it could be an option for those who need extra ide channels but do not want to upgrade to a raid board or do not have spare pci slots to use a controller card.

I can see it being useful for storing backup's, on a drive for security. For analysing other peoples hard drives, for repairs, recovery and fault finding.

I, like most, have the odd smaller hard drive floating around. This is one way to utilise it and to have an extra dimension to the P.C.

Not bad for thirty quid, if you have a spare caddy. :)

SEASHANTY 13:28 09 Nov 03

It works out cheaper if you already have a spare internal HDD and a caddy, as I already have. Most external drives are ?100 more than the comparable internal drives

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…