USB 2.0 Hub not recognising ADSL modem

bigtim1 13:40 19 Feb 05

Hi

I recently bought a Newlink USB 2.0 host card and a Sitecom USB 2.0 hub for my PC and have fully installed them. They work fine with my printer (Canon IP4000) and my Nikon camera, but when I try to connect my Sagem ADSL modem it won't connect to the internet. It recognises the modem at first and then I try to connect and then it doesn't. Very frustrating!! I have reinstalled the modem and updated drivers but to no avail. Please help!!

FelixTCat 13:43 19 Feb 05

Try connecting the modem directly to the host card - it probably doesn't like the hub.

bigtim1 13:58 19 Feb 05

The idea of getting the hub was to try and stop the modem dropping off when connected to the internet as I was told that this may be caused by drops in power by the PC. If I plug direct into the host card it will still run from the power of the main unit.

FelixTCat 14:13 19 Feb 05

I have never heard of that happening. However, the proof of the pudding . . . Try it and see - it can't be worse than your present situation, can it?

rawprawn 14:17 19 Feb 05

My ADSL Modem does not like my hub,I think FelixTCat is probably right.

huzzar 15:23 19 Feb 05

click here

I had a similar problem with my BB connection when I moved my PC into the living room and used a Phone extension cable to plug the modem into. The modem refused to work from it so I used a USB extension cable instead and plugged the Sagem straight into the phone socket, using a filter of course and that works a treat, no more problems.

The link above could answer your particular problem.

Djohn 15:38 19 Feb 05

Your correct in saying that disconnection problems can be caused by running the modem direct from the USB connection on the PC itself, but this only applies if you have several other USB peripherals running from the same port.

Try connecting the USB modem direct to the PC USB outlet and running your other hardware from the powered hub.

I'm fortunate in that my modem will run quite happy from a 4 port card in the rear of the PC along with three other items of hardware at the same time, but like you, if I try to connect my USB modem through a powered hub it will not connect. I suppose some modems do not get along with some powered hubs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…