USB 2.0 Help required

Dirk Diggler 18:43 24 Jan 05

May seem like a silly question - but I am looking at geting an MP3 player for the step-daughter and I have noticed that many have USB2.0 connections. My PC only has USB1.0 - will this still work (albeit at a slower speed) or are they not compatible at all?

georgemac 18:47 24 Jan 05

should work but you can upgrade your pc to usb2 by adding a pci card for £10.95 including delivery click here and also you can add a 4 port hub for another £1.99

I have used this card myself - no problems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 24 Jan 05

Speed
Without going into any technical detail, USB is broken up into three speed groups;
Low Speed USB1(1.5Mbps), Full Speed USB1.1 (12Mbps), and Hi-Speed USB2 (480Mbps)

USB2
click here

USBMAN
click here

Totally-braindead 19:35 24 Jan 05

Its not a silly question at all USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1 and it should work, albeit slower as you've pointed out. I have read somewhere of one USB MP3 player that does need USB 2.0 and that is one of the Ipods, can't remember where I read it, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that but I'm 99.9% sure it'll work, and even if it didn't as the others have pointed out its not expensive to get a USB 2.0 card if need be.

cherria 15:26 16 Feb 05

Is it possible to upgrade USB1.1 to USB 2.0 by upgrading the BIOS or will I have to buy a USB 2.0 card?

georgemac © 15:46 16 Feb 05

updating the bios will not upgrade usb 1.1 - if you have a usb 1.1 motherboard you need to add a pci card to get usb2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…