ATI 64 Graphics Card
Soundblaster sound card
CD Rom
CD Rewriter
25Gb Hard Disk
10Gb Hard Disk
56K modem
Sagem Broadband Modem

I have had no problems with the system until I installed a 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card.

The card installed with no problem but when I attach my printer or Broadband modem the computer slows incredibly and if I use the internet connection it just freezes.

Reconnecting to the on-board USB connection the computer returns to the speed I have been used to, and the internet connection works as before.

Any answers? Questions?

Enoch 09:13 03 Nov 06

I had the same problem until I realised that my card was not power driven. If you put a USB lead into a card in the PCI card slot and it not a powered card (running from mains power), all you can do is to run units from it that have their OWN power. Through the card it does not supply power to a non powered unit like an external drive, but it will run from a powered unit like a printer or camera.

When you run any units from the on-board USB port, it DOES use the PC power source, thereby the difference you are finding

Enoch 09:13 03 Nov 06

I had the same problem until I realised that my card was not power driven. If you put a USB lead into a card in the PCI card slot and it not a powered card (running from mains power), all you can do is to run units from it that have their OWN power. Through the card it does not supply power to a non powered unit like an external drive, but it will run from a powered unit like a printer or camera.

When you run any units from the on-board USB port, it DOES use the PC power source, thereby the difference you are finding

Enoch 09:14 03 Nov 06

Sorry, keyed "Post Response" twice

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:14 03 Nov 06

Make of PCI USB card? What operating system XP or 98?

Have you got the latest drivers for the card.

atom ant 09:25 03 Nov 06

The PCI card has VIA on some of the chips

I am running XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017