USB 2.0 Card, reply from Trust

Sapins 12:33 23 Jan 06

Just received this reply from Trust after not being able to install the card on 98SE.

The card must be placed in a PCI slot which supports 5 Volts.
The PCI Bus version must be 2.2 compliance.
Check your settings in the BIOS.
If the PCI Bus is only 2.0 compliance, this card is not working properly.

How do I find out if it supports 5 volts, cannot find anything in the bios that relates to 2.2 compliance, where will I find this?

Stuartli 12:57 23 Jan 06

Information on the subject of PCI compliance can be found at:

click here

click here

click here

click here

The indication seems to be that PCI slots specifications originally supporting five volts will drop to 3.3 volts.

Sapins 14:36 07 Feb 06

Been thinking about what you said, I bought my 98SE system in 2000 so I presume the PCI slots are 5 volts and remain so? Question is how do I find out the true voltage?

Another thing puzzles me, in Device manager there is an entry in the USB Controllers list for VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller, which I believe refers to USB 2, clicking on it says this device is working properly, however when I plug in a Flash Drive to one of the USB 2 ports on the card, device manager shows a Yellow Question mark, but an entry appears for the Philips Flash Drive in the controllers list and it says the device is working properly, I try to install the driver for 98SE but get the message " Windows cannot find ytb612_efgsip.exe This programme is needed for opening files of the EX type", there is a box for typing in the location of the file but I don't have it.

Anyone help sort this out please.

Stuartli 16:29 07 Feb 06

USB2 devices are (normally) backwards compatible with USB1 and 1.1.

You are correct in that the Via listings in Device Manager refer to USB2 status.

To find out the voltages being supplied, download Everest Home Edition from:

click here

Once installed, open it and, from Computer, click on Sensor and check the Voltage Values, which are constantly monitored.

Sapins 19:53 07 Feb 06

It says, +5v = 4.97v, +12v = 11.73v, -12v = -11.71v, and 5v = -4.35v. Do these indicate the pci slots support 5volts?

Sapins 09:56 08 Feb 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 08 Feb 06

I would doubt very much that the voltages monitored by Everest have anything to do with the PCI slot voltage.

I think what you are seeing is the outputs from the PSU to the motherboard.

What is the make model of the motherboard? the manufactures web site is more likely to give you that info on the PCI slot voltage.

Sapins 16:30 08 Feb 06

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, Everest says the motherboard ID is Springdale 6A79AFKAC-00

Sapins 16:41 08 Feb 06

Sorry, wrong system.

The 98SE board is; Intel Mount Prospect MO440BX

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 08 Feb 06

click here

struggling to find any info for the MO440BX board

Stuartli 17:32 08 Feb 06

See:

click here

The BX chipset (I had an Elite P6BXT=A+ for seven years with this chipset - it was the first to offer both Slot1 and Socket 370 use) is one of the finest and most stable Intel has produced in its history.

In fact it still proved better than some of the followup chipsets from Intel, Via etc for some time after it went out of production.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…