USB 2.0 adapter

xalemo 10:29 15 Jun 03

Hi guys,
This is awkward to explain and more to look for it with google.
I will try to describe it simply.
ymotherboard is usb 1, the case has 2 front USB 2. Therefore, I can't use the front usb.
One guy told me some USB 2 pci card, would allow me to connect the front usb to it instead of connecting them to the motherboard.
Any ideas?
Thanks

LastChip 11:25 15 Jun 03

There is no difference in the connectors for USB 1.1 and USB 2 as far as I know. Indeed, USB 2, is backward compatible with USB 1.1.

So what precisely is the problem?

Belatucadrus 11:41 15 Jun 03

click here this 5 port USB 2 card has 4 external and 1 internal port, so connecting the case ports to the internal should be possible. Not sure about the cables required to do it though.

xalemo 21:41 15 Jun 03

front USB on a case is lotsa wee cables, seems different for v 1.1 and 2.0.
What I am looking for is a pci card where I could connect these tiny things in order to use the front usb.
dabs sells a usb 2.0 upgrade with frontal hub ( size of a drive)
is anybody aware of such a card?
thanks for the link Belatucadrus

xalemo 21:42 15 Jun 03

btw: these tiny cables don't have the same names for usb 1 and usb 2

Djohn 21:52 15 Jun 03

I'm a bit puzzled, I've 2 USB 1.1 slots at rear and 4 USB 2.0 slots. They are the same size physically and my hardware connectors will fit either.

USB 2 should fit in 1.1 but will work at the lower speed. j.

LastChip 22:33 15 Jun 03

First, you have to look in your motherboard manual, and see if there is a "USB Header" on the board. It consists of a row of tiny (wee) pins.

Next, (assuming they exist), you have to find the legend that tells you what each pin does, and finally, decipher the connector labels to fit on to each pin.

It IS time consuming, AND confusing, but with patience, it can be done!

I recently did it with an Intel motherboard, and it took forever!!!

DieSse 00:01 16 Jun 03

Just to add to what LastChip said, there is no difference between USB1 and 2 cables for the front of your system, that you will see. You can use the cables you have on the header on your board with no problem. However, if your motherboard is USB1, then the sockets will then, of course, only operate at USB1.

The wires should be marked Power1, Ground1, Data1+ and Data1-. There are normally two sets, the other set marked 2 instead of 1. You just need to match them to where it says in your motherboard manual.

xalemo 18:27 16 Jun 03

I'll try, but for those of you who have already tried this should now usb 1 is 10 connectors, usb 2 is only 8

DieSse 21:49 16 Jun 03

Not true universally. All the cases I buy have USB1 and USB2 with 4 wires for each port.

And I have seen different numbers of pins and layouts of headers for USB1 and 2 on different suppliers boards.

The only way is to look at the pins and headers for each individual set of circumstances. If you make a guess and/or supposition, and you are wrong, you may blow your motherboard, or at least the USB circuits on it.

To add to the above....

I have just set up a case (Lian Li) and it has the "Normal" pins for USB (1 & 2) and also a pin marked "Sheild" - first time I have come accross this on a USB.

However, as the others all say above = USB 2 and USB 1 will both connect to the motherboard and whether they run at USB 1 or 2 will depend on whether your motherboard will take it.

You can of course spend out on a card if yu want to and avoid having to decide which pins are which BUT if like many your USB pins are seperated and not in a block you will still have to decide which ones go where on the card!

Stick with what you have!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…