usb 2.0

marbles 17:45 05 Jan 06

I brought a computer from a computer fair approx a year ago with win xp pre loaded, i have since upgraded my mobo which is usb 2, but unable to use as it say i need to have sp 1 or sp 2 installed. I have tried to download sp 1 and have disc for sp 2. However when installing it say windows is not valid and stops. On further investigation i have found out that it is a pirate copy and of coarse the seller is no where to be found. Is there any way round this or do i have to purchase a new copy of windows.
I will think hard before buying from a computer fair again.

csqwared 18:00 05 Jan 06

You'll need to purchase a new copy of XP, and I think I'm right in saying it will now have to be a full retail version, not OEM. Others will probably comment on that.

Stuartli 18:01 05 Jan 06

The reason you need SP1 and/or SP2 is because it contains USB 2.0 drivers (SP2 includes SP1).

The only thing I can tentatively suggest is that you read the information in this link:

click here

Stuartli 18:04 05 Jan 06

Sorry, I've probably misunderstood your query. It's the mobo you've upgraded - I thought it was USB 2.0 support that was needed.

csqwared offers the most acceptable solution.

PC Bilbo 18:46 05 Jan 06

Ref csqwared input I think you'll find it comes down to individual traders stance on selling OEM
versions of XP Home Ed. SP2. I think I read an article on this in PC Advisor (not so sure it wasn't the Forum Ed who wrote it - can't find which back copy it was offhand)

I am still able to source genuine OEM copies from at least 3 traders with COA/License Code.

Having had a problem with validating one OEM copy, I phoned Microsoft, explained exactly what I was doing (ad hoc builds and repairs etc) and found them to be very helpful and eager to help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 05 Jan 06

REgardless of What MS say there are drivers available for SP2.

All need to know is motherboard make / model and chipset (which can probaly be found if know motherboard)

marbles 19:16 05 Jan 06

mobo is K8NS ULTRA-939 NVIDIA CHIPSET

marbles 19:18 05 Jan 06

Sorry didnt mention it was a gigabyte

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:00 05 Jan 06

click here

about three quarters down the page

marbles 20:42 10 Jan 06

I need to install sp 2 for the usb 2.0 drivers. But will not install cause it says not a valid windows key. i brought the computer from a fair with windows pre installed, so i imagine that ive been sold a pirate windows copy, more fool me. Is there any way i can install these drivers without sp1 or sp2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…