USB 2.0

jessej 09:24 21 Apr 04

A couple of months ago my son-in-law installed a new motherboard for me, namely an ASUS A7V8X-MX. The manual states >The motherboard implements the USB 2.0 specification, dramatically increasing the connection speed from the 12 Mbps bandwidth on USB 1.1 to a fast 480 Mbps on USB 2.0. USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1 I have tried to use a USB 2.0 peripheral but get the message that the computer is still on 1.1. I contacted ASUS who said all that was required was the installation of XP SP1. SP1 had already been installed, just to make certain nothing had been missed, I ran the CD again last week but I still get told that it is 1.1. Though its not obvious, to me at least, does something need to be changed, either on the board or in BIOS? Or will I need to go out and buy a USB 2.0 card?
All ideas/suggestions gratefully received as always.

961 09:46 21 Apr 04

What was the peripheral and did it come with drivers cd?

Stuartli 09:56 21 Apr 04
  billyliv 09:57 21 Apr 04

Hi, Go into 'Device Manager' through your control panel, performance and maintenance, System and expand your USB tree. (Click on the plus sign next to the USB entry) If you can see 'Enhanced usb' you have USB 2. If not, you will have to go to your boards site and download the USB drivers. Cheers, Bill

jessej 07:50 23 Apr 04

Thanks to all who replied, I very nearly missed them as I wasn't notified by email, usually I am.
Anyhow to answer the questions:
The peripheral in particular is USB 2.0 HDD Housing. When I try to install it I am told that the USB ports are still 1.1 but it will work. It doesn't though as the drivers won't install but thats another problem.
Stuartli
Thanks for the link though it does appear as though it is for USB ports that are not working at all. I will study it to see if anything is relevant.
billyliv
Device Manager lists them as follows:
Universal Serial Bus controllers
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Root Hub (4 of them)
Via Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3 of them)
I've been to the boards site but could not find any drivers listed. When I asked ASUS they said all I needed to do was install SP1. One thing I don't understand, in total as shown above, there are 8 USB entries, there are only 4 on the back of the case.

billyliv 09:00 23 Apr 04

Hi, Do you know anyone who has USB 2 installed on thier computer?,. If so try your thingy on thier machine as I am thinking that your thingy isn't really USB 2. I say this because I once bought an AGP graphics card, unopened, in a sealed box. When I opened it, it was a PCI card. When I took it back the retailer thought I was pulling a fast one and refused to accept it. Needless to say another retailer has my custom. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…