usb 2.0 to 1.1

Ratler 15:02 13 Jan 04

Having bought a Belkin 8 F5U248 Card Reader under the impression that USB 2 is backward
compatable I now need to make it work on USB1. (I never learn!)

Currently, the four drives are shown in Device Manager(this is correct)but not in My Computer (which is incorrect).

I am running Win98SE on an EPoX 8KHA/EP with an Athlon 1.2GHz socket A processor.
All advice would be gratefully received,, Regards --- Ratler

Big Elf 15:06 13 Jan 04

Do you load the drivers?

Big Elf 15:11 13 Jan 04

Another thought. I have a compact flash reader which only shows in Explorer if I have a card in it. I also have a multi reader which shows all the drives whether a card is in or not.

stlucia 16:44 13 Jan 04

Interesting ... I also thought USB2 devices were always backwardly compatible, so I'll be following this thread. Sorry I can't contribute, other than by helping keep it top of the pile.

Stuartli 17:15 13 Jan 04

I have a USB2 7-in-1 card reader but only USB 1.1 - it works fine.

Here's a description of USB2's abilities:

"USB 1.0/1.1 support data transfer at up to 1.5 Mbps for low-speed devices and up to 12 Mbps for full-speed devices. Microsoft, HP, Compaq, Intel, Agere, NEC and Philips are seven core members of USB-IF to have worked on USB 2.0 standardization. USB 2.0 will support up to 480 Mbps for high-speed devices.

"USB 2.0 is suitable for high-performance devices such as high-quality video conferencing cameras, high-resolution scanners, and high-density storage devices. In addition,

"USB 2.0 supports old USB 1.0/1.1 software and peripherals, offering impressive and even better compatibility for users."

Ratler 11:29 14 Jan 04

Big Elf---yes the drivers were loaded; an easy enough thing to forget.

St Lucia and Stuartli---In my experience they are backward compatable! I know because for some unknown reason the darn thing is now working, it seems that time and Freecell sorts problems out..I have also loaded it on to a Packard Bell machine and that was successful too.

Thanks for your assistance and interest..Regards Ratler.

Stuartli 16:21 14 Jan 04

USB2 is definitely backward compatible...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…