USB 2.0

No Ideas 08:55 03 Aug 03

Am thinking about buying an i-Pod. The Windows version requires USB 2.0. How do I know if I've got that and/or if my PC will support it? Nothing in Device Manager ..

PC is a Dell Dimension 8100 about 2 years old. Pentium 4, 1.5gHx, 512mb RAM running XP Pro very happily.

Then ... if I don't have USB 2.0, but can support it, how/what do I install ....

Thanks

bremner 09:09 03 Aug 03

You will not have USB2 you will have USB1 which is very much slower.

You can buy add on USB2 cards to fit in a spare PCI slot. I know Dabs do a 3USB2 / 2 Firewire card for £25.

This would give you the option of the Firewire iPod. I know the Ipod is hard to get hold of at the moment and the option of being able to use either version may be useful.

bab5 09:14 03 Aug 03

No Ideas,

it looks like you have only got usb 1.1 ,
to upgrade to USB 2 you would need a PCI USB2 card, you should be able to pick one up for about £20(or less).

If you are running winXP you will need to download and install service pack 1, that will provide the USB2 drivers .

All you need to do then is pop the case open and install the card into a free PCI slot.

Hope that helps
Darran

No Ideas 09:29 03 Aug 03

Thanks to you both - vey helpful.

Bremner - the Apple Store seems to have them in stock and a quick search of other retailers produced no noticable saving. But your suggestion is one I'll consider - thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…