USB 2 Query

Legolas 18:24 06 Apr 04

I have a new scanner that informs me every time I switch it on that it can run on USB2 but because I only have USB1 it is restricted to a slower speed.

I am beginning to feel sorry for the poor scanner not being allowed to run at its full potential so how do I upgrade to USB2

Patr100 19:14 06 Apr 04

You probably won't notice much difference with the scanner with USB2 but what you would need if you do upgrade is a USB2 PCI card to fit ina spare PCI slot.The speed differenc is more useful with say, an externAL hard disk. You can get a 4 port PCI card for less than a tenner from example: click here

with older Pcs particularly you need to install the software that comes with the card.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:37 06 Apr 04

I use the same model of scanner on a USB2 enabled computer and on a USB1 computer....there appears to be no speed difference using similar sized images. ( the scanner has a USB2 connection) Emporer's+new+clothes;-)))

G

Djohn 19:52 06 Apr 04

Legolas. As above, you probably won't notice any difference in speed but it is there. USB2 will allow the data to be transferred at a much higher speed but the actual scan speed will be determined by the engine of the scanner. j.

cdb 20:10 06 Apr 04

can any pc be upgraded to usb2 or does it depend on the motherboard?

spuds 20:20 06 Apr 04

More info on USB click here click here [Mr Langa]

Patr100 20:36 06 Apr 04

Any PC running win98se and above should be upgradable regardless of the motherboard if you use a PCI card and the card manufacturer's drivers. Recently motherboards have USB2 rather than USB1 built in.

Djohn 20:40 06 Apr 04

Think it applies from 98 on-wards but has Patr100 says, "with drivers" but you also need the driver with XP unless XP has got SP1 or SP1a included.

Legolas 10:02 07 Apr 04

Thanks for all the replies.
The consensus of opinion appears to be that there is no speed gain whither I use USB1 OR USB2 so I will probably not bother so thanks for saving me a few bob us studends need to save all the money we can ;-)

Legolas 10:03 07 Apr 04

We also need to learn how to spell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…