usb 2 problem

patso 16:10 15 Mar 09

i have a pc with 2 usb slots on front and 4 slots on the back.i use an external hard drive 250 gig plugged in to one usb,whenever the usb lead gets loose by accident i get the message this device can work better with a usb 2 in device manager its telling me i have a usb 2 but which slot is it,how do i find out which one it is .any ideas please,i am using xp home thanks

tullie 16:20 15 Mar 09

If you have usb2,they will all be surely?

patso 16:29 15 Mar 09

there probably not so heres the list in device manager sis 7001 pci usb open host controller x2
sis 7002 usb 2.0 Enhancement Open Host Controller
Usb 2.0 root hub
Usb Mass Storage Device
Usb Root Hub
Usb Root Hub
thats whats showing,so is it the usb 2 root hub that i should have the drive plugged in to ,how do i tell which one it is?thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 15 Mar 09

seen this before on older machines -
rear ports are usb2
front are only 1.1

to find out which are usb2 on yours
have device manager open then plug a drive / usb device into each port in turn and see which root hub the device appears in.

patso 16:50 15 Mar 09

thanks what will happen as i have device manager open and am plugging in an mp3 player and cant see it thanks again fruit bat

patso 16:53 15 Mar 09

i found it it says creative zen in the usb 2 device on the first tab in one of the rear sockets .i will plug the hard drive in to this thanks again fruit bat cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…