USB 2 Power Hub

Graphicool1 16:49 PM 10 Jun 11

Hi

Would my PC have to already have USB 2 output, to enable me to use a USB 2 Power Hub?

Nontek 16:59 PM 10 Jun 11

No, but it would only work at the slower USB 1 speed.

Nontek 17:00 PM 10 Jun 11

Or if it is a Desktop, you could add a USB2 PCI card, very cheap, or if a Laptop, a USB2 PCIA Card.

Nontek 17:02 PM 10 Jun 11
  Graphicool1 17:03 PM 10 Jun 11

Hi Nontek

So would the same thing apply if I installed a USB 2 card? Or would a card come with USB 2 drivers?

Nontek 17:05 PM 10 Jun 11

See my link above - a USB2 card would give you full USB2 capabilities.

Nontek 17:08 PM 10 Jun 11

To make it clearer, a USB2 Card would give your USB2 Powered Hub full USB2 capabilities.

Nontek 17:11 PM 10 Jun 11

You should also check whether you already have USB2 built-in (whether Desktop or Laptop) - Right-click on My Computer then Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and expand USB Serial Bus Controllers, if you then see the word enhanced anywhere at all, you have USB2 built-in.

Graphicool1 17:26 PM 10 Jun 11

I see what you mean. They are cheap, until you add half as much again for postage. Which although it still doesn't make it expensive, I just feel they can't weigh that much?

However, I have two Destop PC's. I installed WinXP in both, from the same disk and the installation was identical. The only difference is that the basic make up of one is a higher spec than the other. The lower spec one has USB2, but the higher spec one doesn't and I just can't get my head around the reason. Especially as the high spec one has the 'usbehci' driver. That is why I'm looking at taking this route.

Graphicool1 17:28 PM 10 Jun 11

When I said it has the driver, it does, but it doesn't show in 'Device Manager'

Nontek 17:36 PM 10 Jun 11

link text This might help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites