USB 2 Power Hub

Graphicool1 10 Jun 11

Hi

Would my PC have to already have USB 2 output, to enable me to use a USB 2 Power Hub?

Nontek 10 Jun 11

No, but it would only work at the slower USB 1 speed.

Nontek 10 Jun 11

Or if it is a Desktop, you could add a USB2 PCI card, very cheap, or if a Laptop, a USB2 PCIA Card.

Nontek 10 Jun 11
  Graphicool1 10 Jun 11

Hi Nontek

So would the same thing apply if I installed a USB 2 card? Or would a card come with USB 2 drivers?

Nontek 10 Jun 11

See my link above - a USB2 card would give you full USB2 capabilities.

Nontek 10 Jun 11

To make it clearer, a USB2 Card would give your USB2 Powered Hub full USB2 capabilities.

Nontek 10 Jun 11

You should also check whether you already have USB2 built-in (whether Desktop or Laptop) - Right-click on My Computer then Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and expand USB Serial Bus Controllers, if you then see the word enhanced anywhere at all, you have USB2 built-in.

Graphicool1 10 Jun 11

I see what you mean. They are cheap, until you add half as much again for postage. Which although it still doesn't make it expensive, I just feel they can't weigh that much?

However, I have two Destop PC's. I installed WinXP in both, from the same disk and the installation was identical. The only difference is that the basic make up of one is a higher spec than the other. The lower spec one has USB2, but the higher spec one doesn't and I just can't get my head around the reason. Especially as the high spec one has the 'usbehci' driver. That is why I'm looking at taking this route.

Graphicool1 10 Jun 11

When I said it has the driver, it does, but it doesn't show in 'Device Manager'

Nontek 10 Jun 11

link text This might help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message