USB 2 port not found

Bob S 12:27 30 Mar 06

I have Windows XP Home with service pack 2 installed. I recently added an external USB2 250 Mb Lacie hard drive and a pop-up window tells me that I don’t have a USB high speed port on my computer. Device Manager shows that I have a Via USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller. Can anyone help please as it took 2.5 hours to transfer about 5 Gb of data to my new drive!!!

Marsh Warden © ™ 12:56 30 Mar 06

Although xp should not require them, it may be worth downloading the USB 2.0 drivers from click here (second from bottom) and installing them. Don't forget to force a restore point prior to the install in case there is a problem.

ACOLYTE 13:04 30 Mar 06

Im not bieng funny but did you connect the drive to the correct usb2 port?,i have 6 ports and when i first had got a usd 2 device i connected it to the wrong one lol.

Bob S 14:12 30 Mar 06

Thanks Marsh Warden - I've downloaded some VIA drivers but problem persists. I'll try your link later. Thanks for replying.

Bob S 14:18 30 Mar 06

Acolyte -- there's no such thing as being funny when it comes to computers, anything is possible. I have 4 ports in two blocks and I've tried one in each block. Perhaps I'll try the other two! I've used computers for twenty odd years but I'm a novice when it comes to the internal workings. Thanks for your reply.

Bob S 15:22 06 Apr 06

Acolyte -- I tried another port as you suggested and lo and behold, my computer now does not tell me that I don't have a USB 2.0 high speed port.
Still don't understand it as I thought I had 4 USB 2.0 ports. The Asus motherboard manual is a bit confusing,too. Starts off by saying there are 4 USB 2.0 ports and later on in a diagram shows only one or two.
Many thanks
Bob

Mutant_Llama 15:45 06 Apr 06

I have an abit MoBo with just 2 USB ports built into the motherboard. I get the same message when I connect a memory stick but I have tried it in both and neither come back as v2, they are both v1.1 (and damned slow).

Supplied with the Mobo was a seperate USB connector meant to poke into the front of the case but as my case has no front USB room I have not been able to use it.....

I assume that the message is advising me that while I am using the v1.1 USB I have the ability to use v2 IF I connect the extra USB device?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…