USB 2 PCI card on K7T Turbo 2 Motherboard

jkr 10:52 26 Oct 05

I am wanting to buy a photo printer but it uses a USB 2 port. I only have USB 1 ports. Looking at other postings it says that USB 2 PCI cards can be plugged in to the motherboard.
I have a K7T Turbo 2 motherboard with an AMD 133 Athlon CPU.
Would a USB 2 PCI card work with these?
I do not want to buy the printer then find that I cannot use it.
Thanks.

MAJ 12:09 26 Oct 05

The printer will work fine on a USB1 port, jkr. If you have a spare PCI slot then you can fit a PCI-USB2 card into it.

jack 12:09 26 Oct 05

You did not mention the Operating system I assume therefore it is XP or 2000
1. USB is back compatable, that is, as in this case a printer - will run in a USB 1 slot - the Experts will say aha! it will run slower - but only a bencharker program will tell you that - it'll print, and your coffee will get a smidgin cooler -so what!

USB2 PCI card will slot in to an unpopulated PCI slot on the MoBo. and give 4/5 extra USB slots each one a dedicated channel - this is much more preferable to a 'HUB' whuch gives the extra slots but channels all data streams down the same path - and can cause power drop issues as well.

jkr 12:37 26 Oct 05

Thanks Maj and Jack - particularly the second part of Jack's - I had not realised that - very useful. I can now go out and buy my PCI card and printer and feel safe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…