USB 2 PCI card

krislas 20:12 01 Jan 03
  krislas 20:12 01 Jan 03

I run Windows ME, I have a Cahinteck 7AJA motherboard with 3 free PCI slots, 512Mb of memory and an AMD Duron 1Mhz processor. I would like to add USB 2 as I have just bought a CanoScan D1250 U2. I have been told all sorts of different things about whether I can or not do this, and I do not know what to belive. Canon says I need an Adaptec card which wold be compatible. Does anyone know whether this is the case ? Thanks. Krislas

€dstow 08:01 02 Jan 03

I'm fairly certain that USB2 cannot be used in any Windows version below XP.

For a definitive answer click here

€d

Mac & Beth 08:32 02 Jan 03

I've fitted a USB 2 card in a Win98SE PC (can't verify if USB 2 worked - USB 1.1 did though)

Dabs.com lists the following OS s under the requirements for USB 2 Cards

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional , Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows XP, Apple MacOS X 10.1 or later, Apple MacOS 9.2.1

The card will work at 1.1 - not sure about USB 2

tes 08:42 02 Jan 03

I have just fitted a D-Link usb 2 adapter & a Canon D1250U2 scanner & it works fine on XP

€dstow 09:44 02 Jan 03

As has been hinted, USB2 is backwards compatible and will work as a previous version if not at the one it's supposed to be. A scanner is not the ideal piece of equipment to test this with as scanning is inherently slow anyway.

As I indicated above, the definitive answer will be given in the "click here".

€d

Nickg 10:46 02 Jan 03

click here seems to me that USB 2 has limited compatability with NT, but looks OK on ME

Muzziad 12:40 02 Jan 03

i run Win ME and installed a 2 port USB2 PCI card for an external HDD drive. the drive was VERY slow using a USB1 port, but after i installed the card it was much much faster.

you should have no probs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…