usb 2 looks OK but usb 2 device reports not usb 2

as400man 19:37 06 Jan 05

I've just bought an Acer laptop but when I connect my usb external drive I get the old usb 1 message and it runs at usb 1 speed. The device manager shows many usb entries but only one is described as 'usb 2 enhanced'. Is this normal?
Does this mean that all three of my physical ports should be usb 2? There are 8 usb device entries and I can't work out what they all mean.
Any ideas? (XP with SP1).

Thanks and regards

Totally-braindead 19:52 06 Jan 05

Have you looked at the manual for your laptop, perhaps only some of the ports are USB 2.0? Are you connecting the external hard drive direct to the laptop because if you're connecting through a hub which is not USB 2.0 compatible you will only connect at USB 1. Thirdly are you sure your external drive is USB 2.0 rated?

as400man 20:00 06 Jan 05

All 3 usb should be 2. I'm connecting directly to the lap top. The external drive comes up as High Speed when connected but I get the same warning about not having a high speed port as I used to get on my old PC which did have usb 1 only.

Totally-braindead 20:13 06 Jan 05

Strange , not had much to do with latops myself but my desktop thats a different story. When installing the motherboard drivers, just after installing windows, one of the things I had to do was update the USB 1 to USB 2 using the motherbaord drivers disk.

Just reread your original posting and it says enhanced so it is USB 2.0 so I'm off on the wrong track, sorry. If I do thing of anything else I'll post back.

as400man 20:51 06 Jan 05

Thanks for taking an interest.

Regards

as400man 09:28 07 Jan 05

My external hard drive is USB powered with two leads. My exsiting PC just needs the maind lead plugged into the usb. My new PC needs both leads plugged into two usb ports. I assume it's a power thing. Everything working at high-speed now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…