Usb 2 host card problems

bebobaloobop 18:19 25 Apr 05

hi all,
just bought myself a PCI to USB Host card so transferring files from mp3 player and camera wouldn't take so long.
plugged it in and XP seemed to like it and installed drivers itself.
When I plug anything into it, XP recognises that something is plugged in but says unknown device and it won't work.
Tried installing driver that came with card too but still no luck.
Also the driver manual states: Composite devices and Hi-Speed Isochronous Transfers are currently not supported.
What does this mean?

Thanks for any help you could offer

Technotiger 18:41 25 Apr 05

Hi, I believe you may need to update your driver.

VIA web site click here to get the latest driver

Cheers.

Fingees 18:45 25 Apr 05

Your card is being recognised as USB OK, but you will Possibly need driver for the MP3 player

Or it could require setting up your sound card to recognise the player

Technotiger 18:49 25 Apr 05

Hi, don't like to contradict anyone trying to help - but I am quite sure it is nothing to do with the sound card. This is a known problem with some usb cards. Often cured with latest driver update.

Cheers.

bebobaloobop 19:07 25 Apr 05

thanks for trying guys.

have installed latest driver recommended by Technotiger.

still not working. trying with usb mouse and digital camera at the moment.

don't think its about getting drivers for those as they work fine with the usb 1 ports.

Not sure whether XP used new drivers or not. They came with a setup file. I ran that and then it reset my system. No joy so i removed all usb controllers in device manager and reset again. Still no good. What am i doing wrong?

Technotiger 19:12 25 Apr 05

Hi again - have a look among this lot then -

click here

Cheers.

bebobaloobop 11:16 26 Apr 05

anyone in today that knows what the problem is?
thanks

Diemmess 11:51 26 Apr 05

Your motherboard (like mine) needs a USB2 PCI card, while younger Mobos seem to know all about USB2 without needing a special card.

The same goes for 2K and XP, but not 98SE, where you do need drivers for that card.

I am wondering if your BIOS needs an update to cope with USB2?

bebobaloobop 12:09 26 Apr 05

please could you tell me how i'd go about doing that.

Diemmess 12:37 26 Apr 05

Phew! First, look in system information for the make and version of your BIOS.

Then look on the makers website for the latest version for THAT PARTICULAR BIOS and download it (usually to a floppy)

Read and understand exactly how to upgrade your bios and follow those instructions to the letter.

The procedure is usually quite easy and straightforward, but once started don't interrupt it.

bebobaloobop 16:24 26 Apr 05

thanks for the advice but it turned out i had the latest bios update installed!

any more suggestions please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…