USB 2 + External HDD = Snails Pace to Freeze!?

Graphicool1 14:01 07 Jan 09

WINXP Home,
2 x Internal 40GB HDD
1 x External 80GB HDD
1.25 RAM

When the External HDD is connected to USB 1.1
I don't have any problems with it. Except every time I turn it on Windows tells me it would perform faster on USB 2

I posted a thread regarding this problem a few days ago. I only received one response, but almost simultaniously we arrived at the same conclusion...Malware. I ran an in depth 4 and a half hour search - which included the Ex HDD - it came up with 9 objects, 8 of which had been in the registry.

I tried the External HDD,USB 2 connection again and it worked. Today however, I switched it on and began to open some files, the more files I opened the slower it became, until eventually it wasn't responding at all. I re-connected it to USB 1.1 Away it went, no problem.

Any suggestions?

howard64 14:14 07 Jan 09

I would guess that it is the usb root drivers that are giving the problems. Try the motherboard makers site for the latest drivers.

Graphicool1 14:28 07 Jan 09

Hi Howard64

Last year my USB 2.0 plugs were only working as 1.1 as such I had to trawl the Net for drivers. Eventually I got them, they were ALI Drivers, sometimes called ULI (just to add to the confusion). Anyway it solved the problem for every USB 2.0 application I plugged - and still have plugged - in! Except for that infernal Ext HDD? So I got 'Driver Max' and updated all the USB drivers, I now have the latest! Everything is fine, Except for - you've guessed it - the Ext HDD!

howard64 14:44 07 Jan 09

does your ext drive have its own power supply? if not the usb may not be delivering enough power. If this is the case try removing all other usb devices and try it again.

Graphicool1 15:33 07 Jan 09

Yes, the Ext does have it's own power supply?

howard64 17:02 07 Jan 09

ok try removing all other usb devices and plugging the external in to a different one. If no joy try a sysem restore to when it last worked ok.

Graphicool1 11:16 08 Jan 09

Hi howard64

As you suggested, I plugged the Ext into the USB 2.0 socket that my camera card reader was using. Putting the card reader into the socket that I'd used for the Ext. It would seem that BOTH applications are working fine! However, I have been here before?

Although I may not now need to use - fingers crossed - your other suggestion, regarding the system restore. I feel I should say, I have a slight problem with doing that anyhow. In as much as, I don't use the Ext drive on a regular basis. So other than the fact that it stopped performing satisfactorilly on USB 2.0 sometime last year. Started performing well last week, then stopped again, that's as close as I can get. Also I don't make restore points as often as perhaps I should, I'm not very methodical. so as such I didn't pay too much attention as to when things occur.

What I intend to do now is set a System Restore point and then reboot. Because, I do remember that when it was going well last week, after restarting the PC it wasn't? I don't know if this will help me, you or anyone, I just thought I would give it a go and see what will happen?!

Graphicool1 11:40 08 Jan 09

Update

Well I rebooted and I didn't have to use the System Restore! It would seem that everything is still working fine. Note the air of scepticism in my writing. As you know, it's a case of been there, done that!

If we suspend reality for a moment and just pretend that it really is ok and will continue - for the forseeable future - to remain so. Do you or does anyone have an explanation as to why?

G1

PS
I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days, just in case. Should it be really fixed, then I can only heap loads of praise on you Howard64. If it transpires not to be, then at least you did your best, what more can anyone ask.

howard64 13:52 08 Jan 09

at the risk of upsetting all the female members I consider pcs in the same way as my wife and female friends. When all is well life is fine, when something goes wrong dont worry why or how just get things going again. Lets hope it works ok from now on.

Graphicool1 14:44 08 Jan 09

Hi Howard64

How do you know I'm not a female member?
Whatever else I was expecting, I wasn't expecting the answer to be chauvenistic or sexist!

PS
For the better part of valour an you own credibility, your response might have been better had it been non-commital. Least said, soonest mended.

G1

howard64 19:49 08 Jan 09

oh dear a slight case of switched off sense of humour. I was just trying to say it does not matter why or how just get it going.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…