USB 2 to Ethernet connector any drawbacks?

Roadgiant 20:29 19 May 05

After the failure of the network connector (built into the m/board)of my Pc and several hours of frustratingly installing and removing a separate NIC.
I have been looking round the net and see that there are several companies selling USB to Ethernet devices for under £20 and wonder if there are any problems or disadvantages in using these as a network connection?
The host Pc connects to NTL Broadband via a USB modem and until recently my son's Pc was connected to the net via a x-over cable to the failed NIC of the host computer.
I have several spare USB2 connections on the host Pc and thought this would be a quick fix.
Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.
RG

Night Ryder 20:38 19 May 05

I signed up to BT Broadband about a month ago using a router directly connected to via USB to my computer. So far this has worked perfectly. I would recomend anyone to do the same.

Tubster 21:08 19 May 05

If they're plain old usb 1.1 ports then you'll get 1.5mbps speed running through them (maximum), that's more than enough speed for any web browsing, downloading, file sharing between pc's, than the vast majority of users could hope to achieve. If they're usb 2.0, no probs :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…