usb 2 controller and xp driver

naggis 12:52 20 Dec 04

I have just changed my mobe. The new one is usb2 compliant. But to get it fully operational it needs Windows xp pro to be upgraded to sp1. The upgrade now available is sp2 and I don't really want to upgrade to either of these. Can I get just the required upgrade to the usb controller? If so where?

jimv7 13:06 20 Dec 04

As you have said, to be fully functional at least sp1 must be installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 20 Dec 04

SP2 contains all the updates in SP1.

Running XP without the SP2 is leaving yourself wide open to viruses, syware, keyboard loggers etc.

Have you got a firewall and antivirus software?

USB2 drivers can be found without using XP SP2 but is is just not worth the hassle of making them work.

naggis 15:15 20 Dec 04

Norton systemworks installed and working ok. I have heard so many bad reports about sp2 that I am concerned that installing will cause more problems than it will solve. I also us a very old copy of Photoshop and maybe sp2 wont like it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:55 20 Dec 04

There are far more good reports. Remember the saying no news is good news.

The main problem with SP2 was a certain motherboard and Prescott chip now a patch released.

If you have any problems we can sort them here on the forum.

naggis 15:56 20 Dec 04

Thanks Fruit bat, I'll see how it shapes up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…