USB 2 cable into USB 3 port

Dragon_Heart 22:04 04 Apr 15

I know one of the differences between USB 2 & 3 is that with USB 3 data can be transferred in both directions simultaneously whilst in USB 2 its only allowed in one direction @ a time.

If I connect a USB 3 enabled device like a HUDL2 with a USB 2 type Micro B (?)socket to a standard USB 3 post with a USB 2 cable will it speed up data transfer ?

The new USB 3 Micro b socket is VERY different to its USB 2 equivalent.

bumpkin 22:19 04 Apr 15

No it won't to put it bluntly.

BRYNIT 08:51 05 Apr 15

Dragon_Heart. I'm curious as to where you got the information that "USB3 data can be transferred in both directions simultaneously". From what I understand but could be wrong is that you can only write to a hard/flash drive or read from a hard/flash drive at one time they cannot do them simultaneously.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:53 05 Apr 15

BRYNIT

Probably from here USB3.1 bi-directional 10Gbps

but its only the power thats bi directional.

tired an experiment with my USB3 and USB2 drives to PC couldn't get either to transfers both ways at the same time.

Dragon_Heart 19:57 06 Apr 15

It was from click here practical / physical structure of USB is not something I have had a great deal of interest in until now ( I did understand SCSI ) but like most standards USB is NOT 'standard' ie plug design.

When I plug a USB enabled tablet or drive into my Windows 7 PC it informs me with something like "This device could work faster using a USB3 port".

I was not expecting 'Full duplex' but thought I may get half duplex' at the higher speed but clearly this is not the case. Possibly my operating system only thought the device was USB3 enabled by some sort of 'handshake' and I did have USB3 ports available.

As I said above USB has no standard plug design to fit into hard drives, players etc but it has had to move with the times.

As for Fruit Bat's comment ( good to see you're still active on this forum ) "tried an experiment with my USB3 & USB2 drives to PC couldn't get either to transfers both ways at the same time". Now USB 3 products are more expensive than USB 2's so are we being 'taken for a ride' with some manufacturers ?

Thanks for your help guys :-)

The

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 06 Apr 15

Now USB 3 products are more expensive than USB 2's so are we being 'taken for a ride' with some manufacturers ?

I can image my large data drive to an external USB3 drive in a quarter of the time it took using a USB2 drive. Therefore I do not feel ripped of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 2D animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes