USB 2 & 3 Interchangeable?

johnincrete 17:03 26 Sep 13

I need to buy a new external hard drive for backups. Many say they are USB 3.0. Will they work on a standard USB 2 socket in my computer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 26 Sep 13

Yes usb 3 is backward compatible

so if plugged into a usb2 port it will work ok but run at the slower speed of USB2

johnincrete 10:13 27 Sep 13

I have seen that you can fit a USB 3 card to a (something - I cant remember) slot but I do not have a spare one on my old computer. I used to backup to an external drive, leaving it running overnight. So I guess I will have to but the new external drive and suffer the relatively slow speed on USB2 Thanks for the help

spuds 10:26 27 Sep 13

Not sure how this fairs nowadays, when USB 1 went to USB 2, I queried this with Belkin regarding their cables. The technical person that I was talking to, stated that "as a domestic user, I would not see or notice much difference"?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:05 27 Sep 13
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 27 Sep 13

Spuds

You can definitely see the difference between 1.1 and 2 40x faster now three is lightning compared to 2.

USB 1.0 and 1.1: the first commercial versions supported a maximum data rate of 12 Mbps

USB 2.0: the current version supports a theoretical maximum rate of 480 Mbps

USB 3.0: the standard supports up to 4.8 Gbps

spuds 11:32 27 Sep 13

Fruit Bat - Quite a big improvement then, the information from your link is very interesting. How would it fair, fitting a USB3 4 port card to an much older motherboard. I seem to recall fitting a USB2 4 port card to the machine I am presently using, when USB2 became available. Would it work with USB3, or would there be any problems or restrictions?.

Apologies to johnincrete for hijacking the thread.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 27 Sep 13

The motherboard must have a PCI or PCI express slot

My machine is 8 and a half years old and has both so how old are you talking?

spuds 12:11 27 Sep 13

About the same age (8) or a little less, with PCI slots. Not sure about the 'Express' bit though.

Just had a look at Amazon, and a eLife Store USB3 4 port at £9.97 delivered might fit my bill as a try out for 'normal' basic use. Seems to have some good/fair reviews?.

Would fitting a USB3 as a replacement to USB1/2 on printers make a difference or problem (drivers etc).

Now to find out what the 5 other computers plus 1 laptop have. Any ideas for checking, without having to physically check individual cards?.

Apologies again to johnincrete.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 27 Sep 13

Siw portable an be loaed on a USB drive and when plugged in and run will show you everything on your machine (Hardware - motherboard will show slots)

The laptop will need an express slot see here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 27 Sep 13

John may wish to consider buying a hard drive caddy with an esata port and if he has a spare sata port on the mother board can connect through to the drive that way.

see here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac