USB 2

Flid 10:29 09 Jun 03

I am a computer novice and wish to upgrade my computer to USB2.Dose the new card connect to the PCI slot? and do I have to remove my old USB 1 or can it just stay there? Any help would greatfully received.
yours Alan

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:33 09 Jun 03

Unless you are doing serious video-editing there is not a lot of point upgrading. However all you need to do is pull the old card out and insert the new one. Some older computers may not accept the card so it is worth checking on the box for minimum specifications.

G

BillEmm 13:21 09 Jun 03

USB 1.1 is old technology. 99 percent of current usb devices are level 2.0. - all new PCs have only 2.0 controllers installed.

Flid, you do not say how old your PC is, what OS you are using or if your USB 1.1 is on-board or supplied from a PCI adaptor card. If you want good advice then these are important considerations.

If your PC is less than 5 years old then I would not expect any problems adding a USB 2.0 PCI adapter card. Drivers will provided with the card.

There is no reason why you cannot run both USB 1.1 and 2.0 on your PC provided your PSU can handle the additional load.

J Mc Enroe (Alias BillEmm)

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:48 09 Jun 03

*ahem* there is little difference in the speed of USB1 and 2...bit of a problem with the inherent speed control of scanners and printers. I use USB 1 and 2 and with scanners, printers, cameras and media readers the difference is negligible. Emporer+new+clothes ;-))) USB 2 does make a difference in video-editing but anyone seriously doing this would be using firewire. As I replied in an earlier thread this is similar to the old 'should I upgrade my CPU' questions. I use 350Mhz and 2Ghz computers for picture editing and WP and there is no real difference in speed. Don't believe the hype.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:51 09 Jun 03

'there is little difference in the speed'...insert 'humanly noticeable'

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…